Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm 

Thanks for the update, John! It's greatly appreciated! This is now my "go-to" reference for flyable survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
Spitfire Mk.XVI SL721 was recently sold and is moving from Canada to Belgium.

Hi,

More information about this move ? I'm wondering who could have purchased her and where she will be based.
Very exciting information indeed.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm 

There was a third Zero at POF last year and I don't know why I didn't take a picture. Any info on it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

That was N553TT, which has been owned by a Japanese businessman, Masahide Ishizuka, for several years now. It was in the US at Chino last spring, so that the Japanese-born American pilot, Kazuaki Yanagida, could get checked out in the aircraft before flying it in Japan. Since then, the aircraft has made a number of flying appearances and displays in Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 am 

JohnTerrell wrote:
the Japanese-born American pilot, Kazuaki Yanagida, could get checked out in the aircraft

A Japanese pilot comming to the States to be checked out in a Zero. Am I the onlyone to think its ironically regarding history ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Iclo wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:
the Japanese-born American pilot, Kazuaki Yanagida, could get checked out in the aircraft

A Japanese pilot comming to the States to be checked out in a Zero. Am I the onlyone to think its ironically regarding history ?

Although Yanagida was born in Japan, he lives in California and has for a long time, and I remember reading that he also is a long-time flight instructor at Chino. Southern California also has the highest concentration of current/qualified Zero pilots to work with. So the check out/training occurred at Chino, before both plane and pilot went to Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
That was N553TT, which has been owned by a Japanese businessman, Masahide Ishizuka, for several years now. It was in the US at Chino last spring, so that the Japanese-born American pilot, Kazuaki Yanagida, could get checked out in the aircraft before flying it in Japan. Since then, the aircraft has made a number of flying appearances and displays in Japan.

I knew it was an airworthy one, when did it go back to Japan? I could've sworn it was before May last year...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

GRNDP51 wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:

I knew it was an airworthy one, when did it go back to Japan? I could've sworn it was before May last year...

The aircraft originally arrived in Japan just over a couple years ago, and made it's first flight in Japan in January 2016 with Skip Holm at the controls. Eventually the aircraft was back in the US again, showing up at Chino around March/April 2017. With the pilot training completed, the aircraft was back in Japan, flying, in late June 2017. I've seen a number of photos of the aircraft at various places in Japan since.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:

The aircraft originally arrived in Japan just over a couple years ago, and made it's first flight in Japan in January 2016 with Skip Holm at the controls. Eventually the aircraft was back in the US again, showing up at Chino around March/April 2017. With the pilot training completed, the aircraft was back in Japan, flying, in late June 2017. I've seen a number of photos of the aircraft at various places in Japan since.

That would be it! Skip flew it I couldn’t think of why it was stuck in my head and now I remember watching the video. Wish it would’ve flown at the show last year! Probably won’t get to see it fly for a long time if ever, especially with some of the other Zero’s on our soil.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Recently updated to include:

- Spitfire Mk.V AR501 now flying again in the UK, post-restoration
- The Fighter Collection's Sea Fury T.20 flying again in the UK, post long-term work/engine-conversion
- P-51D "Queen of Hearts" moved from South Africa to Germany
- P-51D "Moonbeam McSwine" moving from France to the USA
- F-86 N80FS moving from the USA to France
- Hawker Hurricane KZ321 moving from Canada to Belgium
- Updated/increased Yak-3/9/11/LET C-11 listing (should now be very comprehensive/complete) with further definition on which ones are the Allison-engined Yak-3 and Yak-9 reproductions/new-builds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Classic Wings just reported that the ex Lone Star Spitfire Mk XVIe, N97RW, TE392 has been restored, sold Australian and should be flying again this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

JohnTerrell wrote:
Eventually the aircraft was back in the US again, showing up at Chino around March/April 2017. With the pilot training completed, the aircraft was back in Japan, flying, in late June 2017. I've seen a number of photos of the aircraft at various places in Japan since.

The Zero is now back in Chino from Japan and is being reassembled.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

John, you mention above that Hurricane KZ321 is headed to Belgium.
I understand that Spitfire SL721 has also gone to Belgium. Are these stablemates staying together?

Along the line of irony mentioned, regarding the Zero USA Japan connection, one must not forget that most Spitfires have to rely on Hoffmann in Germany if they are in need of a replacement prop!

Great thread BTW

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Perhaps so, Andy, though I'm not positive. Both aircraft were sent to FAST Aero in Belgium to be reassembled and registered. The Spitfire arrived back around mid-March and the Hurricane is to arrive within the next 1-2 weeks.

FAST Aero, which was founded by Frédéric Vormezeele, is also working on restoring the Yak-9 "D-FENK" back to flight (owned by an individual based in the Netherlands), completing the restoration of Hurricane AM274 (owned by Frédéric's father, Eric Vormezeele, as I recall), and performs regular maintenance on the P-51D "Scat VII", among other warbird projects.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks John.

Vormezeele's also have a FW-190D-9 project as well, based on a Flugwerk airframe along with a Jumo 213. Correct?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next