Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Worldwide Numbers of Warbirds Flying by Type

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:32 pm

Zac Yates wrote:Is it now a TP-40N or is it a standard P-40N, perhaps with a second seat?

Hi Zac,

Although not yet, it will have dual controls and it has been modified to have the same style second canopy setup as seen on Thom Richard's P-40N 43-24362 (which has often been referred to as a TP-40N). Both of course differ from the original hundred or so factory TP-40N's, in which the rear seat was positioned further back, and the canopy setup and other rear cockpit/internal details were substantially different. 42-105120 retains the armor plate headrest behind the pilot's seat, so it doesn't look all too far removed from being a stock single seater.

Doug Hamilton's P-40N 42-104986 and Ross Pay's P-40N 42-105875, nearing completion, both have similar rear canopies that slide forward and under, though which differ in some ways when compared to 43-24362 and 42-105120. Tim Savage's P-40N (ex-VWoC), the Warhawk Air Museum's P-40N, and Chris Pevost's P-40N (also often referred to as TP-40N) all have dual controls as well. While Chris Prevost's P-40N also has a rear canopy that slides forward, if I recall correctly, I seem to remember that the rear canopy on the Warhawk Air Museum's P-40N is hinged on the right side, rather than being mounted to rails.

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:30 pm

Thanks John, I appreciate your decoding the variations on the theme.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:26 am

You can add a new F-86 (didn't see the registration in the article):

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restor ... flies.html

Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:10 pm

kalamazookid wrote:You can add a new F-86 (didn't see the registration in the article):

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restor ... flies.html

I'm not 100% certain - but it may be N286CF...
Mike

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Mike Spaulding's Corsair in Australia has flown

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:39 pm

As mentioned, Mike Spaulding's Pacific Theatre combat-vet Vought F4U-1D Corsair BuNo.82460, registered as VH-NQW, had its first post-restoration test flight February 28th with Stephen Death at the controls. The aircraft is based at Mareeba, which is located near the city of Cairns in northern Queensland, Australia. It is the only airworthy F4U-1D in the world.

The Sabre and Corsair lists are now both updated with the recent additions.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:02 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:It is the only airworthy F4U-1D in the world.

That is truly surprising to me. I'm very happy to see this machine airborne but wow!

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Among the thirty currently active Corsairs, there is; one F4U-1A, one F3A-1A (licensed-built version of F4U-1A by Brewster), one F4U-1D, twelve FG-1D's (licensed-built version of the F4U-1D by Goodyear), five F4U-4's, eight F4U-5's, one F4U-7, and one F2G-1 Super Corsair.

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:06 pm

Spitfire Tr.9 BS410 (G-TCHI) was test flown for the first time today at Biggin Hill in the UK, with Pete Kynsey at the controls. Owned by Martin Phillips, this is the second Spitfire restoration to be completed by the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar already this year. It is to be operated by the Spitfire flight experience and pilot training company known as Spitfires.com, joining Spitfires SM520, RR232, and MJ271.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:01 pm

Excellent news, congratulations to all involved!

Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:47 am

Might as well remove HK5016 from the list of flyers, although my guess is she will be repaired, being a Turbo

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:22 am

Mick G wrote:Might as well remove HK5016 from the list of flyers, although my guess is she will be repaired, being a Turbo

PNC-0257 now as well...

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:29 pm

Okay, I've updated the DC-3 list.

I've also preemptively reinstated all of the ex-FHCAM warbirds, which have all now been sold in their entirety and are reportedly being readied to be flown to their new owner's base of operations.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm

Having had its first post-restoration test flight with Dave Hadfield at the controls, Mike Potter's Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII RCAF Serial No. 5447 (CF-CPM) has now been added to the list of flyers. Congratulations to everyone who has been involved with that project throughout the span of time it has been under restoration!

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:23 pm

JohnTerrell wrote:Congratulations to everyone who has been involved with that project throughout the span of time it has been under restoration!

Hear hear!!
Post a reply