Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

F-117's

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Are they all still in storage? Have any been assigned to museums?

Re: F-117's

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Pat Carry wrote:Are they all still in storage? Have any been assigned to museums?

They are officially retired, but in a version of storage where the USAF is supposed to be able to pull them from storage and fly them relatively quickly. They pull a couple from storage periodically and fly them to validate the concept.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 am

There has been one in the NMUSAF since the early 90s.
Non-airworthy as a many parts were removed before display.

I hadn't heard the part about them being in flyable storage. Any idea where they're parked (inside I'll guess).
I would have thought that pilot currency, technician training, spare parts inventory/depot and technical supporters issues would have prevented that.
From my time at AFMC HQ, I came to appreciate the huge infrastructure requirements for an aircraft type.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 am

The ones in flyable storage are kept at the Tonopah Test Range airport in Nevada and have been seen flying regularly from there. I suspect they're also using them as part of the TTR's programs which include weapon testing and new radar systems.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm

There are a few YouTube videos of them flying. It always makes me smile to see a new one!

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Yep a couple are still flying from Area 51 I think.They used them in Red flag last year.
Post a reply