Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 am 

Reevers can now publicly reveal it has saved another WW2 warbird - see more at https://www.facebook.com/ReeversWarbird ... 6159397247

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Liberator3 wrote:
Reevers can now publicly reveal...

As opposed to non-publicly reveal? :) :)

Still, a nice effort to safeguard the few remains.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 am 

Clickbait!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 am 

[quote]Click Bait[/quote]

Hardly click bait, given what Reevers has achieved in saving aircraft and bringing families together because their fathers shared a significant period in our time.
Bottom line is, if you don't like it, ignore it. Let the people who use this forum decide as they do, we know we have 'many' followers from here and yes they do get their
updates. The recent recovery has identified the son of the Pilot and links to the crew members and witnesses to the incident on that day. The children of 18 Squadron
Netherlands East Indies Squadron has been established with long term plans in place to continue the reunions of their fathers. Like so many WW2 Veterans, time is running
out. So this is not click bait, its a genuine effort to bring people to the page where all the details, contacts etc can be found.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

How much of the airframe is left for display? Is the nose art still discernable?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:36 am 

Hi Chris

Yes the nose art on the Port side is still visible along with other details such as Aircraft number and a few pieces of writing we are still researching.

While the nose was crushed during the landing accident much of it is still there and while cleaning portions of the centre section today we were amazed

by the condition of some parts. Will she fly again, its a job beyond us and we have the former Chapter XI to focus on. Having said that we do have more pieces

parts and sections arriving early in 2018 so these will add to our collection of early and later model B-25's. We hope to place all the pieces we have for N5-161's

cockpit on display.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:04 pm 

:drink3: Thank You Peter !! Well Done ! Better to save "as found" than to have a piece of History destroyed ! Thanks again !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Brenden S wrote:
Clickbait!

Exactly, I'm not a fan of silly (cheap, annoying...choose one) cryptic thread titles that make you go to a different site to learn the basics such as aircraft type.

Even if not meant to be "clickbait" for the organization, if it comes across like a marketing move, it's bad PR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:42 am 

JohnB -you are entitled to your opinion, but our page numbers prove you wrong

TBM Tony - your welcome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
Brenden S wrote:
Clickbait!

Exactly, I'm not a fan of silly (cheap, annoying...choose one) cryptic thread titles that make you go to a different site to learn the basics such as aircraft type.

Even if not meant to be "clickbait" for the organization, if it comes across like a marketing move, it's bad PR.

I agree, would it kill you to put another sentence worth of information in the these posts? I inevitably click the link anyway but some basics would be nice. I appreciate what Reevers is doing but am tired of these vague “clickbait” type posts. We get enough of that elsewhere on the web.

Anyway congrats to the Reevers team on the recovery of a long forgotten B-25.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Digger wrote:

It's not about numbers...it's about providing information to enthusiasts and supporters.

Referring to the number of views to defend the post seems to confirm the "clickbait" fear. Several similar "clickbait" accusations were made on the Key Publishing forum, so it's not just me.

Again, good work on saving the aircraft, but the image the group is projecting online could use some work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:28 pm 
KiwiZac

One thing Reevers has done is educated me immensely about the Dutch B-25s and their connection to Australia. I knew nothing about this story but Reevers' work with the first B-25, and this new recovery, has taught me a lot about it and encouraged me to read up. For that I'm very grateful.

Digger wrote:

In fairness, one can't learn what the story is about without visiting your page - vague link titles would, therefore, generate traffic (and serve to prove what JohnB said). As a reformed journalist I'm aware of the value of clickbait, no matter how well-intentioned it may be.

The folks behind the Reevers Facebook page are always prompt to answer any queries, which is very much appreciated. Unfortunately not everyone uses Facebook - in fact some on various forums become quite upset and even angry at being told to look at a Facebook link!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 pm 

The clickbait arguement is redundant because the count on the page is only made if you are logged in.

If you google the topic it brings up the images etc its designed as a trap but as a convenience. As is said, not everyone is on FB

Reevers understand this is directed more at the indiviuals involved than the actual issue claimed as the practice of posting links

withouth further background to them is a common practice on this site as well as others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:09 pm 

Pete,
While I commend you and the team for rescuing and doing a lot for the Australian warbird scene, Phil's mystery links and post on here are a pain in the rear end. It would be nice, as others have said to provide some more information in the post. Not hard at the end of the day.

ps
Keep up the good work too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 am 

Point taken, I can see the where and why here, so we'll save you the pain and suffering.

with over 20,000 reaches on that one story alone I think we can manage