Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 am 

Lynn,

Yes, I would agree that the current philosophy of the NASM is improved...examples being the B-17D and B-17G (ex air tanker 44-83814) being sent to other museums for display.

As for the B-24, yes an oversight and reflects generally on the unfortunate oversight of that type....

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am 

aerovin wrote:
Lynn,

Yes, I would agree that the current philosophy of the NASM is improved...examples being the B-17D and B-17G (ex air tanker 44-83814) being sent to other museums for display.

As for the B-24, yes an oversight and reflects generally on the unfortunate oversight of that type....

You can add to this list the Vought V-173 flying pancake at the Frontiers of Flight Museum in Dallas. I thought I'd never see that thing in real life when I was a kid. Now I take my kid to see it three or four times a year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm 

I have to add something about the NASMs "neglect" of the Swoose - if they had restored it years ago, before the Hazy center, where would they put it? Smaller aircraft they could rotate through the Mall, other museums, but a B-17? Put it back outside? Just my two cents...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mexchiwa wrote:
I have to add something about the NASMs "neglect" of the Swoose - if they had restored it years ago, before the Hazy center, where would they put it? Smaller aircraft they could rotate through the Mall, other museums, but a B-17? Put it back outside? Just my two cents...

A similar situation exists today at the NMUASF. When the Swoose is restored (15 years down the road or more), where will they put it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 pm 

would be great if they could put the Swoose on the ramp with the Belle and all the fly-in aircraft for a photo op, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm sure the NMUSAF would really love to have the Belle photographed beside the Movie Memphis Belle! :lol:

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm 

DH82EH wrote:
I'm sure the NMUSAF would really love to have the Belle photographed beside the Movie Memphis Belle! :lol:

Andy

One of my favorite parts about the Movie Belle is her "patina"..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DH82EH wrote:

Andy

I would like to see the Memphis Belle and the ShooShooShooBaby parked side by side for photos before SSSB goes into long term storage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm 

I'm sure they wouldnt do this but it would be nice if the NMUSAF repurposed the old R&D and Presidential hangars back to their original purpose and make them an annex again. It would be an opportunity to display items like SSSB plus several other aircraft that have been off display and in storage for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PhantomII wrote:
I'm sure they wouldnt do this but it would be nice if the NMUSAF repurposed the old R&D and Presidential hangars back to their original purpose and make them an annex again. It would be an opportunity to display items like SSSB plus several other aircraft that have been off display and in storage for years.

Yes! A good idea. I would like to see the C-39 on display there along with the SSSB!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

PhantomII wrote:

I don't remember the exact amount but the cost of transporting visitors to the annex was tremendous ... Keeping in mind there is NO admission fee .

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm 

Pat Carry wrote:
mexchiwa wrote:

A similar situation exists today at the NMUASF. When the Swoose is restored (15 years down the road or more), where will they put it?

By then the 5th Building should be finished ...

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:23 pm 

Where do they intend to put that building?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm 

Misterg97 wrote:
PhantomII wrote:

I don't remember the exact amount but the cost of transporting visitors to the annex was tremendous ... Keeping in mind there is NO admission fee .

I can imagine it was by no means cheap. It's too bad people would probably balk at paying to see something like that, I wouldnt hesitate to pay if needed to make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm 

StangStung wrote:
Where do they intend to put that building?

They can always, by the looks of it, add onto the ends of the buildings. 50% more space to the WWII end as well as the other 3. Be about the same price as a new building but allows them to increase display space in each sub section.

That should also give them space to get the other planes from the airpark indoors.

Sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next