Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: 2018 Restorations

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

KiwiZac wrote:Airco DH.9 E8894, at Duxford: http://www.historicaircraftcollection.ltd.uk/dh9.html

K5DH wrote:Not a restoration, but one of our hangar tenants is building a full-scale replica Fokker Dr.1 triplane which should fly in the spring of 2018.

How 'bout Any of the '70's Movie Reproduction Bristol Fighters that were recently recovered ?
Hinton Family F 8-f Bearcat ? Last I saw was it being painted....

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Latest picture of the TFLM F8F Bearcat getting painted.
Picture from Ezell Aviation.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:05 pm

TBM Tony wrote:How 'bout Any of the '70's Movie Reproduction Bristol Fighters that were recently recovered ?

One or more of the NZ-based examples may fly next year, but Chris Prevost's one (at Schelleville?) is pretty close! https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMa ... 350854561/

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Warbird Kid wrote:Latest picture of the TFLM F8F Bearcat getting painted.

:shock: :o Warbird Pxxn !! :drink3: Thanks Kid !!
KiwiZac wrote:
TBM Tony wrote:How 'bout Any of the '70's Movie Reproduction Bristol Fighters that were recently recovered ?

One or more of the NZ-based examples may fly next year, but Chris Prevost's one (at Schelleville?) is pretty close! https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMa ... 350854561/

Thank You ! Sir ! Between these last two, I better lay down !! :drink3:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Warbird Kid wrote:Latest picture of the TFLM F8F Bearcat getting painted.

Oh my. That is just gorgeous!

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:53 am

I am not an airplane-paint guy, but would an F8F, either immediately after exiting the plant or in wartime operation, even have paint that glossy?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:47 pm

They don't call it "Glossy Sea Blue" for nothing!

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm

The 1918 AIRCO D.H. 4 is being built up in Bowling Green, Kentucky by Dorian Walker with an ambitious goal to get it flying March of next year. The aircraft was one of five that were purchased by Kermit Weeks from the Tallmantz collection in 1979. He bought it last year and it’s supposed to be the last D.H.4 available.
It will be restored as a U. s. army example. Many original parts I viewed are forward fuselage, landing gear, wheels, cockpit instruments, fuel tank, radiator, Liberty V-12, cabana struts, and more. The wings and prop will be new built and the machine guns will be replicas.
It will be flown and displayed around the country.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:07 pm

marine air wrote:The 1918 AIRCO D.H. 4 is being built up in Bowling Green, Kentucky by Dorian Walker with an ambitious goal to get it flying March of next year. The aircraft was one of five that were purchased by Kermit Weeks from the Tallmantz collection in 1979. He bought it last year and it’s supposed to be the last D.H.4 available.
It will be restored as a U. s. army example. Many original parts I viewed are forward fuselage, landing gear, wheels, cockpit instruments, fuel tank, radiator, Liberty V-12, cabana struts, and more. The wings and prop will be new built and the machine guns will be replicas.
It will be flown and displayed around the country.

Good catch, M.A.

Be sure to check out the Friends of Jenny facebook page for updates on DH4 "Miss Liberty".

https://www.facebook.com/friendsofjenny/

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

Yes that’s it. I was skeptical until I saw it and they are doing good work and at a feverish pace to get it built.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:39 am

Wow, the DH4 is coming along nicely. Nice link of progress photos! Thanks!

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

The Ripper wrote:Jerry Yagen's P-39, out in New Zealand, may also be ready for next year, though I haven't seen any pictures of it recently.

ImageBell P-39Q with Pioneer Aero's Paul McSweeny by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

Paul says that it is a lot closer than you would think from looking at it. He said 'Early next year .... September?' - bit of a tricky fella is Paul :-) But definitely expected at some point in 2018.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:55 am

Jerry Yagen's new Dragon Rapide also should be flying early next year

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Are there any more flying Blenheim/Bolingbroke projects out there? Always seemed odd that with all the airframes recovered from Canada there's only one in the air. Is it a case like the P-39 survivors - a lot of them saved but they all need unobtanium parts to fly?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Chris Brame wrote:Are there any more flying Blenheim/Bolingbroke projects out there? Always seemed odd that with all the airframes recovered from Canada there's only one in the air. Is it a case like the P-39 survivors - a lot of them saved but they all need unobtanium parts to fly?

The CWH Bolingbroke restoration project is still progressing at a slow rate.
Last I heard they were starting work on the outer wings. New spars had to be manufactured due to serious dissimilar metal corrosion in the originals.

:partyman:
Post a reply