Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am 

I was looking on google earth last night and stumbled across a Canberra sitting by itself on the south end of the Redding Airport in California. I did some digging and found this post dating back to 2004

"A84-229 Mk.20 First flight 22/11/56. Delivered 23/04/57. Served with 2 Squadron based at Butterworth Malaysia. Noel Fenton reports "When Canberra A84-229 was at ARDU (1959), it was undergoing trials (deployed to Darwin) relating to the venting to atmosphere of the fuselage fuel tanks. Unfortunately, the test engineer (we used to call him NASA as at that time, everything NASA did, did not work) installed the vents incorrectly, ie., the wrong way around. During flight tests, instead of venting to atmosphere, No3 fuselage fuel tank was pressurised and expanded into the bomb-bay fouling the elevator and rudder control rods and caused the 'freezing' of control of the elevator and rudder. The pilot (a USAF Major on exchange to ARDU) landed the aircraft using the electric trim on both control surfaces. As well, the fuselage also 'expanded' giving what we called a Canberra with an 'area rule' fuselage. It was disassembled in Darwin and flown to Avalon in a Hercules for major repair and modification after which it was returned to ARDU. As well, I can recall the testing of the fitting of bomb hangers and supports (for 500 pound iron bombs) on the wing-tips in lieu of the tip-tanks to 229 in 1966. Initially, there were a few problems relating to stress at the wing-tip, but these were overcome. The bombs were dropped using the wing-tip fuel tank 'dump' button and was prior to Canberras being deployed to Vietman. There are many 'photo's of Canberras in Vietnam showing this fittment."

Struck off 1982 at Amberley. 06/82 allocated to RAAF museum in airworthy condition. In exchange for A84-229 Aero Nostalgia provided a Lockheed Ventura for the RAAF museum. Aero Nostalgia was unable to take delivery and it remained at Amberley from 1982 untill 1990 when Steve Picatti purchased it from Aero Nostalgia and ferried it to USA 08/08/90 as N20AN. Now N229CA. Returned to Australia to appear at the 1991 RAAF Richmond airshow, 1992 Avalon International Airshow and perform at the Adelaide Formula One Grand Prix on 05/11/92. Returned to USA during 03/93. Was subject of legal dispute and ownership changed to Tom Leek. Reportedly damaged when it suffered an accidental landing gear retraction whilst parked. Reports of it being grounded by FAA due to unqualified ground crew and maintenance issues. As unable to fly it out, wings and tailplane where removed and the aircraft was removed by road from Boise, Idaho during 1999. During wing removal substantial damage was done to centre section wing mounting bosses . This means 229 may not fly again.

Last report has it registered to Jack Stringer of California 28/03/00. Noted in Australian Aviation 11/04 as being parked in the GA area of Redding Airport, California as of 04/08/2004."

Is there any more info on it? After 13 years, there must be some new info on it. It would be cool to see this back in the air.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 am 

I can't speak to the Redding birds but this past April I found these at Lampson Airport outside of Lakeport, CA. (about 60-70 air miles southwest of Redding) One looked airworthy the other needed some work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am 

I've visited the 2 former NASA Canberras at Lake Country Airport CA.
One of the major problems preventing flying the Canberra is the ejection seat.
The cost of certifying the seat and finding someone who can certify it.
The Canberra is very expensive to operate due to fuel costs.
Most likely these aircraft will never fly again.

The 2 Canberrass at Lake Country Airport are:
N40UP XH567
N30UP WT327
I would love to know their full histories.
The 2 Canberrass at Lake Country Airport were last used by NASA for high altitude Mapping. When that contract ended, that was it. I believe mapping work can now be done by satellite.
NASA still operates at least a couple other Canberras from the southern US. They were last used during the full moon Eclispe
I bet the owner of the Canberras in Lake Country Airport is hoping for another NASA contact, but most likely not going to happen.
Hopefully the Canberras will go to a museum!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

What is the requirement for an operational ejection seat? It was my understanding that the FAA in some cases required ejection seats to be deactivated on civilian operated aircraft, or have I got that wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 pm 

NASA is still flying RB57s, not Canberras.

It appears that the one in Redding was a privately owned flier at one time. I was curious what the story was with it these days since it not sits all by itself down on the south end of the airport (Not on the ramp but in its own parking spot)

The two at Lakeport are interesting as well. They aren't all that far from me. That airport is now closed is it not? All jet warbirds are expensive to keep and fly. I'd have to imagine there is someone in the US that can test the ejection seats out. I bet they are Martin Baker seats.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Blackbirdfan wrote:
NASA is still flying RB57s, not Canberras.

WB-57s, actually.
They have three flying, having recently yanked a B-57 out of AMARC for rebuild: https://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/images/TheAircraft/jsc2015e103913.jpg
I saw one lifting off at Ellington in 2012 and it was quite a sight!
I recently talked with former Chief Astronaut "Hoot" Gibson and he said he once flew on one, as "ballast," something I got the feeling he didn't enjoy nearly as much as he could have.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm 
KiwiZac

ALOHADAVE wrote:
The 2 Canberrass at Lake Country Airport are:
N40UP XH567
N30UP WT327
I would love to know their full histories.

Goodall says:

71417 • B(1) Mk.8 WT327 Boulton Paul Ltd, Defford: trials aircraft .55
B Mk. 6 Royal Aircraft Establishment, Pershore
(Mod.) Defence Research Establishment, RAF Bedford 90/95
(last flight 30.6.95, TT 2724 hrs)
MoD auction ex DRA Boscombe Down 5.97
Aerolease Group, London 5.97
sold to US owner, Stockton CA .97
G-BXMO K. Fazakerley, London 8.10.97
(del. to Kemble ex Boscombe Down 21.10.97,
dep. Kemble 6.12.97 on del. to Stockton CA)
N30UP Air Power Inc, Lakeport CA 19.3.98/05
(based NAS Moffett Field CA 00/01)
High Altitude Mapping Missions Inc,
Spokane WA 13.9.05/16
(CAA & USCR quote id. 6663 which is WK163
whose nose was fitted to WT327 in RAf service)

71398 • B(1) Mk.8 XH567 Defence Research Establishment, RAF Bedford 90/95
B Mk. 6 last flight 4.2.94, offered for disposal 12.95
(Mod.) sold by MoD auction, DRA Boscombe Down 5.97
Aerolease Group, London 5.97
sold to US owner, Stockton CA .97
G-BXOD K. Fazakerley, London 11.11.97
(del. to Kemble ex Boscombe Down 20.11.97,
dep. Kemble 8.4.98 on del. to USA,
arr. Victorville CA 13.4.98)
N40UP Air Power Inc, Lakeport CA 20.3.98/05
(based NAS Moffett Field CA 00/02)
High Altitude Mapping Missions Inc,
Spokane WA 16.9.05/16

Apologies for the messy formatting/loss of same, the original is here: http://goodall.com.au/warbirds-director ... ectric.pdf

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:45 pm 

I stand corrected.

With regards to the WB57s, didn't many of them suffer from wing spar failures in the '60s? I gotta say, I wouldn't object to being ballast in one for a flight.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I recall the long wing examples had wing issues.

When One was a kid in the '60s, my father was a base ops officer.
I recall him telling me that some long-wing examples were due to RON.
Trouble was it was winter and snow was expected...and he said that there was a snow load limit of a couple of inches on the aircraft.

Real Dash-1 trivia I know.
Anyone else ever hear that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One of the more interesting forums I've attended at Oshkosh was given by a gentleman who flew RB-57F's. He discussed nuclear sampling following bomb tests (ours and others), mapping large portions of South and Central America, and that they flew with the aux jet pods when they needed maximum altitude, but the 3rd and 4th engines were left on the ground when the mission required maximum range or endurance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 am 

Blackbirdfan wrote:

The two at Lakeport are interesting as well. They aren't all that far from me. That airport is now closed is it not?

Lampson Field, Lakeport (1O2) is still very much open and active, although I'd imagine flying a Canberra out of there (3600' x 60' runway) would be "exciting".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:00 pm 

Group,

I am the current owner of Canberra N40UP and am restoring it to fly. We have already taxied the aircraft and recently completed a gear swing (still working a minor problem with the nose gear doors). Probably looking at a first flight next summer.

N30UP is owned by Vulcan to the Sky Trust.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Avn-Tech
Thanks for the update, always interesting to hear from owners, the guys that, unlike most here, put their money where their mouth is. :D

Didn't VTTS "cease trading" as they say UK?

Also would the UK FAA allow a civil Canberra to fly in the UK given their issue with many jet warbirds, (and a few piston ones as well, like the Shackleton)?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:20 pm 

JohnB wrote:
I recall the long wing examples had wing issues.

The RB-57D had issues with the wing spars. The RB-57F (now WB-57F) addressed the problem of wing spar failure and was a more capable airframe.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:24 am 

Certainly Canberras have flown on the UK civil register, and not that long ago.

Following the knee-jerk reaction to the Shoreham crash, I don't know what the CAA position would be now.

N30UP was bought by VTTS to acquire the original nose of WK163 which they were planning to return to flight.

Despite being a one-time world altitude record holder they massively over-estimated the degree of public support for the project, which I personally suspected when they announced it.

Great aircraft though the Canberra is, it doesn't have the presence of a Vulcan. Not much does...