Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Hawaiian Wreck Survey?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If anyone would know it would be someone on this board. Has there ever been a survey of Pearl Harbor aircraft wreck locations? Especially in relation to the December 7 attack. I know Oahu is a pretty big place with lots of difficult terrain. Over the years I have heard stories, typically from post war Navy vets of wrecked "Zeros" being fairly accessible to various bases. I know there was a huge amount of activity in Hawaii for years and it is likely that the uninformed would call any wreck with a radial engine a "Zero". Still has there been any attempt to catalog the known wrecks?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 pm 

Yes, Myself and others have been working on locating the Japanese crash sites for years.
I have searched the jungles of Oahu many times for reported locations of Japanese aircraft.
The best reference that I can give you is this
Pearl Harbor Japanese Aircraft Crash Sites, Records, & Artifacts: Part 1 thru 7
by James Lansdale
at this link: http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/jimlansdale/ph_crashsite/ph_crash_1.html

another reference web site is this:PEARL HARBOR ATTACKED, Japanese Aviation ยป Historical facts and commentary
http://www.pearlharborattacked.com/cgi-bin/IKONBOARDNEW312a/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=11

David Aiken, Shinjuwan Sakusen Sensei, Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc. has been working on accounting for all the planes for years, but getting him to tell everybody else is another matter.

Known sites are now buried under a house, another buried in a golf course, another buried in a gulch.
We have photos, documents, first hand accounts. getting permission to dig is another mater.
Of the 29 Japanese planes shot down, only about half are exactly known crash sites.
Many crashed into the ocean and were lost. Only the Niihau Island wreck survives in the Pacific Aviation Museum along with a few fragments of some of the others.

for the record:
Japanese aviation losses:
Five Kaga KATEs (all first wave torpedo): all by AA fire
Nine fighters: Five by AA fire, one each by Harry Brown and Malcolm Moore; two unknown.
Fifteen VALs: Shokaku VAL first wave: got lost/crashed in ocean. Second Wave VALs: seven were hit by AA fire, the rest by Daines, Welch, Taylor, Brown.

Aloha
DaveT