Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The natural metal with red trim is beautiful but, man oh man, that blue and white civil scheme has a LOT going for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

C VEICH wrote:
The natural metal with red trim is beautiful but, man oh man, that blue and white civil scheme has a LOT going for it.

I agree, the blue/white is pretty. :D 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 am 

Sasnak wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:
B26K "Special K" headed home.

Will

Wonder how long it took them to figure out the oil cooler covers were still in!

Not to shine a bad light on these guys as I have followed Kay's restoration from the very beginning, but is there any update or comment on this serious misstep? Years of effort and untold amounts of resources could have ended badly.

Has Kay returned safely to FTW?

Why is the Facebook page down (since before Oshkosh)?

C2j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

C2J,

Yes, Kay is back at VFM, safe 'n sound. Several of the Kay crew members read and post here at WIX. If they want to discuss the oil cooler cover thing, I'm sure they will. Otherwise, maybe we just let it go?

With lots of exhaust staining on the nacelles, she looks like she just returned from a mission in SEA, and in my humble opinion, she looks great that way! Some of the crew doesn't agree, so I believe the plan is to clean her up. The crew removed all of the underwing ordnance this weekend and returned her to "clean" condition. Lots of drag there, which means lots of extra fuel consumption. According to the schedule board, Kay will be attending a couple of events in Texas in the coming months, and the crew was talking about going to Sun 'n Fun as well.

Too bad the T-Bird didn't receive any awards this year. It's a gorgeous airplane that they keep in spotless condition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

K5DH wrote:
C2J,
With lots of exhaust staining on the nacelles, she looks like she just returned from a mission in SEA, and in my humble opinion, she looks great that way!

Agreed, a little "patina" on a warbird looks great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Totally shameless Scott Slocum pic grab (from the WHF facebook page) for post #5000.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 am 

Good gravy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:28 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Totally shameless Scott Slocum pic grab (from the WHF facebook page) for post #5000.

I never saw the bottom Skyraider. There were 3 there, but the 3rd one was Cavanaugh's, and its not in camo.

Will

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:38 pm 

The three that were there, and in the picture: Bad News, Naked Fanny, and Wiley Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There were four Skyraiders at Oshkosh:

"Naked Fanny" - privately owned
"Wiley Coyote" - Cavanaugh Flight Museum
"Bad News" - Warbird Heritage Foundation
Cavanaugh Flight Museum's AD-5

Photo from Tuesday evening:

ImageIMG_5447 by M, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 am 

Scott's photo of the two Spits together is awesome, also added this one of Dave with Y-2K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 am 

kalamazookid wrote:
There were four Skyraiders at Oshkosh:

"Naked Fanny" - privately owned
"Wiley Coyote" - Cavanaugh Flight Museum
"Bad News" - Warbird Heritage Foundation
Cavanaugh Flight Museum's AD-5

Photo from Tuesday evening:

ImageIMG_5447 by M, on Flickr

I never saw Naked Fanny, and I was there the whole week. It would have been awesome if they had done a flight of the 3 in camo with Special K.

Speaking of Special K, I was really bummed by their performance. Flying high overhead only showed off the underside. There really was no chance for a good shot of the plane. A nice pass at low level (As in average pass altitude for everyone else) down the runway would have been sweet. I was also disappointed that Doc stayed high and overhead rather than giving anyone a nice photo pass.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
kalamazookid wrote:

Speaking of Special K, I was really bummed by their performance. Flying high overhead only showed off the underside. There really was no chance for a good shot of the plane. A nice pass at low level (As in average pass altitude for everyone else) down the runway would have been sweet. I was also disappointed that Doc stayed high and overhead rather than giving anyone a nice photo pass.
Will

I think Doc did one nice photo pass towards the end of the warbird show on Friday. This was my first time at Oshkosh and it did seem to focus on quantity instead of quality during some portions of the warbird airshow IMO. I understand they have lots of aircraft on the field and want to utilize them... however when you only have so much time and airspace to use it seems trivial to send up airplanes to do circuits high overhead for a crowd that's focused on the show directly in front of them.

Last edited by Thomas_Mac on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We had no choice but to fly on Tues since we were leaving Wed morning. The show was programmed for fighters only so we talked to the AirBoss about letting our two original A-26 crew members who were there to fly together for the first time in 48 years have their happy reunion. The only thing the AirBoss would do is circuits above the crowd at 1000 Ft. While we would have preferred some passes down the runway, we were happy to see our two vets in the air together finally. That was our goal. Nuff said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next