Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Good thing we have the Black Baron of Rhinebeck... :wink:

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:11 pm 

What a shame. Part of the reason I went this year was to see Kermit's collection of WWI aircraft. Considering it is the 100th Anniversary of the end the Great War, I would've thought there would have been more emphasis. At the same time, why would you put an emphasis on planes that may not fly. The WWI era planes are extremely delicate and trying to fit them into the OSH flying environment/schedule seems difficult if not impossible. It seems there's always too much wind, or it's too dark, or...etc. There just isn't enough give in the schedule to allow for the flexibility of schedule/flying conditions these planes need.

Too bad about the Dawn Patrol event as well, as it seems that's the proper and perfect venue for these aircraft.

But as said above, I don't blame Kermit one bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:36 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

WW1 airplanes are not delicate, and a number of them flew with no problem at Oshkosh 2016, with one exception of poor pilot judgement, not an airplane problem. EAA did not organize as well this year. They had Kermit bring 4 airplanes knowing that 3 couldn't fly, and they didn't bring back the Golden Age Air Museum from Pennsylvania who in 2016 flew their replica Sopwith Pup and Fokker Triplane (with rotary engine) at Airventure a number of times.

-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am 

Refresh my recollection: Which WWI planes flew at OSH in 2016?

I was there all week and I distinctly recall flights being scrubbed on various occasions. Not that I doubt you, there was a lot going on (as always), I just don't recall any actually getting airborne.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

At Oshkosh 2016, the Golden Age Air Museum's Fokker Dr.1 and Sopwith Pup, the Old Rhinebeck Spad, Brian Coughlin's Fokker D.VIII and the EAA's Standard J-1 all flew at least on one evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXUdc8J10Po

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Right, and the Rhinebeck Spad pranged in Pennsylvania on the way home and hasn't flown since.

It just seems a fraught undertaking to ship or cross-country fly these planes to OSH, and tricky to operate them once there. EAA certainly did better in 2016, but I despair of ever seeing a really good WWI flying display there. It seems like it is better to go where the WWI planes are, and luckily there are a few such places around the country.

I have been a little surprised not to see more of the modern, not-quite-so-accurate WWI replicas at OSH in recent years. Seems to me there is a mini building boom lately in WWI-ish homebuilts with modern materials, engines and airfoils, like the Camel that was on display, or the Dr.I that was parked near the mini B-17 in the homebuilt area. I'm thinking of the products of that Airdrome outfit in Missouri, and maybe there are others. They may not be as eye-popping as Kermit's incredible reproductions, but it would be fun, and convey some sense of the era, to see a bunch of them flying around.

August

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
At Oshkosh 2016, the Golden Age Air Museum's Fokker Dr.1 and Sopwith Snipe, the Old Rhinebeck Spad, Brian Coughlin's Fokker D.VIII and the EAA's Standard J-1 all flew at least on one evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXUdc8J10Po

Well, shoot. I wonder where I was while that was going on?!? Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Again the SPAD prang had nothing to do with the airplane, the pilot was scud running at dusk in the mountains of eastern Pennsylvania and ended up having to force land on a golf course, breaking the landing gear and lower wings. That airplane with its Lycoming engine could easily fly to California if flown normally. When they bought it in Florida it was flown to NY, and I flew the section from South Carolina to Virginia. Also, in 2010 three of us flew replica Fokkers, full size and pretty authentic but with more
modern engines and brakes, from Colorado to Oshkosh and back, and another year we flew them from Colorado to Dayton and back. So it's very doable and could have been done better at Airventure this year.

-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 am 

Baldeagle wrote:
Again the SPAD prang had nothing to do with the airplane, the pilot was scud running at dusk in the mountains of eastern Pennsylvania and ended up having to force land on a golf course, breaking the landing gear and lower wings. That airplane with its Lycoming engine could easily fly to California if flown normally. When they bought it in Florida it was flown to NY, and I flew the section from South Carolina to Virginia. Also, in 2010 three of us flew replica Fokkers, full size and pretty authentic but with more
modern engines and brakes, from Colorado to Oshkosh and back, and another year we flew them from Colorado to Dayton and back. So it's very doable and could have been done better at Airventure this year.

-

I'd like to hear more about these trips. What kind of range do those planes have? How far between stops (generally, I know it's dependent upon weather). What was your experience of fatigue?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm 

StangStung wrote:
Baldeagle wrote:

-

I'd like to hear more about these trips. What kind of range do those planes have? How far between stops (generally, I know it's dependent upon weather). What was your experience of fatigue?

You should get the Dawn Patrol DVD.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 am 

I got a few more pics done.
ImageImage

Will

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:40 pm 

Pics look fantastic! Thanks for sharing those here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Will, Beautiful shots of the A-1E! Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:20 pm 

Will

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next