Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

KiwiZac wrote:
Kermit posted some photos yesterday on social media of an EAA camera crew filming his Pup. Maybe for an AirVenture promo?

You nailed it...plus add a DH.4 and RFC Bleriot replica (for now):

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... nture-2018

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:17 pm 
KiwiZac

A DH.4? Awesome!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

B-24A "Diamond Lil"'s ride schedule presently has Janesville on 7/21-22 and Iowa City on 7/31.

It would only seem fitting she would at least help hold down the OSH ramp the week between.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For those of you driving and looking for something to do "on the way" to Oshkosh, the Janesville event might be fun. I went to a similar event there two years ago and enjoyed it. The event offers the chance to take a warbird ride and see some flight ops of heavies that you might not get if they're parked all week at Oshkosh.

https://jvl18.splashthat.com

The T-28 clinic and jet blast in Sheboygan is a good time too. I went for the 3 p.m. airshow on Sunday last year and was surprised by the variety of aircraft that flew. None of this year's event information is posted yet, but it's usually found here:

http://www.ahcw.org/events.php

We're staying in Madison for two nights on the way up and will likely attend one of these events. Just not sure which one yet. If the Sabres or Meteor are going to be at Sheboygan Sunday, we'll probably do that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm 

Just bought my tix to be at the show Thursday-Sat. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:40 pm 

Special Kay will be there and we are bringing most of the crew in the Greatest Generation's DC3 "Southern Cross"

Hope to see you all there,
The Real JR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wings of the North has scheduled their "warbirds" to attend...assuming F4U-4, TBM, and Mustang "Sierra Sue" (and trainers?).

Corsair count climbing... :f4u:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey folks.
My friend and I are seriously considering bringing our Tiger Moth for the 100th anniversary of the RAF.
A big consideration for us is our requirement to land on grass. (no brakes / tail skid).
Would any of you know who we would have to contact to be able to accommodate this? (maybe land at the pioneer strip?).
Thanks for any thoughts or inputs.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DH82EH wrote:
Hey folks.
My friend and I are seriously considering bringing our Tiger Moth for the 100th anniversary of the RAF.
A big consideration for us is our requirement to land on grass. (no brakes / tail skid).
Would any of you know who we would have to contact to be able to accommodate this? (maybe land at the pioneer strip?).

Andy

You could use the UL strip. Also, some years they offer a grass strip for the real antiques like yours. Call the folks at the Antique division and see if they can give you any guidance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

DH82EH wrote:
Hey folks.

Andy

Don't hold your breath on that. A lot of people in the Vintage Division have been pushing them for a grass runway for years with no luck. They did have one laid out at the far south end of the airport for a couple of years around 2010, but apparently the FAA didn't like it so it went away. They did have an area to operate the WW1 aircraft in 2016 but it was only for them, all trucked in. and only for a short period of display flying each day. Presumably they'll have something similar this year, but I doubt they will allow it for arriving aircraft. You can always ask I guess, if you can find someone to ask.

The ultralight strip can be used if you get special permission, and they have been good about that, you need to call whoever is in charge of ops there. I don't remember how we came up with the name and number, but she was very accommodating. They prefer that you don't arrive in normal hours when they're very busy. We overnighted at Hartford, Wisconsin, about 40 miles south, got up at the crack of dawn, and arrived just as the UL strip opened, and they waited for us. It is only about 1,300 feet long, and if you land to the southeast you come in over trees and buildings, and especially if there's much of a crosswind from the right, over the trees, and you want a few extra mph, it can be a squeeze, especially with no brakes and a tailskid.

Pioneer Field is closed to aircraft during Airventure, used for helicopter rides. I have landed there a couple of times well before Airventure, then you can tow the airplane over to the main display area, but that of course means flying there a couple of weeks early, going home, and coming back again for the show. And again special permission needed. We did that with the Pitcairn Autogiro in 2009.

I would recommend contacting Jim Busha or Hal Bryan and asking the question. If you can't find their e-mails on the EAA website let me know and I can come up with them.

Also, as far as airstrips enroute with grass runways and gas, Joliet, Illinois is a good one, Brodhead, Wisconsin is not to be missed (many based antiques), and Hartford has a grass cross runway and you can land on the north side of the paved runway.

-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow!
Thanks for all of that awesome info Baldeagle. Thanks Kyleb, as well.
We know that this trip will be a logistical challenge.
Thanks for the list of airstrips enroute. We were planning on visiting Brodhead for sure.
We will do some further homework and keep you folks posted. Much appreciated.

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

On average, about 50 Texan/Harvard/SNJ have attended OSH in recent years. This year NATA is pushing for "80 Texans to Oshkosh" to mark the 80th anniversary of the type.

If you're into North American craft, it appears Tuesday, July 24th is your day. Click on "NATA Press Release" at the following link:

http://nata.clubexpress.com/content.asp ... =901476783

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Warbirds in Review schedule has been posted!

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... -announced

Notable warbirds that haven't been previously announced include Spitfire I and XIV (!!!), F7F Tigercat and Fagen P-40.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm 

I see F7F Tigercats assuming that there is more than one that will be there. How may are left flying? Was thinking that there were only 3, 2 of which are owned by Rod Lewis.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There are 6-7 airworthy Tigercats. Rod Lewis has two, Jim Slattery has two (those which are listed on the EAA schedule as coming from the National Museum of WWII Aviation would be Slattery’s, as it is his which are displayed there), Dan Friedkin has one (used to be owned by John Sessions), Joe Clark has one, and Lawrence Classics has one (receiving work).

The Mk.XIV Spitfire on the schedule would be the CAF SoCal Wing example, and of course the Mk.I would be Ronald Lauder’s P9374.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next