Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I would think a Neptune would be a popular static display at NAS airshows on the East Coast, but that's pure speculation on my part. From an outsider's perspective, it appears that more shows at military bases are trying to emphasize the direct history of their bases and units that have flown from those bases at their airshows, at least more than they have in the past. For a while, it seemed like all of the big airshows were carbon copies of each other, with a few aerobatic acts swapped in and out. My experience in the recent past has been different. I think that's a big reason why the Acemaker T-33 act has been so popular nationwide, and there appears to be more shows requesting other vintage jets that have direct ties to particular bases and units.

It's not unreasonable to think a Neptune could be similarly popular at airshows at Naval Air Stations. Then again, I'm not footing the bill for the work on the airplane or footing the bill to bring the airplane to the show ... Both ends of that spectrum have to be worth it for a Neptune to be brought back to flying condition. It doesn't seem like the type of aircraft one would just decide to take up for a flight on a Saturday afternoon, or take one's family cross-country for vacation.

Wasn't there a group restoring a P2V to airworthy condition somewhere in the western US?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

The Erickson Aircraft Collection, in Oregon, apparently has a restored and flying P2V-7.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:30 pm 

Video of the Erickson Neptune flying, from 2016

https://www.facebook.com/eacmadras/post ... 9933933720

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:23 am 

VH-LRR
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7442785

VH-IOY
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7442158

Both Fly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:45 am 

[quote="kalamazookid"]I would think a Neptune would be a popular static display at NAS airshows on the East Coast, but that's pure speculation on my part. From an outsider's perspective, it appears that more shows at military bases are trying to emphasize the direct history of their bases and units that have flown from those bases at their airshows, at least more than they have in the past. For a while, it seemed like all of the big airshows were carbon copies of each other, with a few aerobatic acts swapped in and out. My experience in the recent past has been different. I think that's a big reason why the Acemaker T-33 act has been so popular nationwide, and there appears to be more shows requesting other vintage jets that have direct ties to particular bases and units.

Some of that is attributable to the shrinking military budgets and deployment pressure recently which mean fewer military assets available for air show and flyover duty

I love the Neptune, it's a great plane, just not well known.

It's possible to have less well known aircraft active on the show circuit (think Berlin Airlift group) but the requirement for crew member rooms, and such a daunting fuel bill tends to tamp down interest from airshow promoters, who could get several other more popular types for the same money

Tom Bowers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This was the organization I was thinking of:

http://www.saveaneptune.com/Home_Page.html

It looks like they have folded and donated the Neptune to the Museum of Flight and Aerial Firefighting in Greybull, Wy.