Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Airworthy P-47's

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I have kind of lost track where they are at. These are the ones I can think of right now; Allied Fighters, 2 in Tenn, Lone Star, FHC, PoF, Erickson and one in Colorado. Which ones am I missing?

Re: Airworthy P-47's

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65826

I still don't understand why the above thread is not a sticky.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

OD posted the best resource, but in short you're missing No Guts No Glory which looks like the one in Colorado, Balls Out which is Rod Lewis' and Snafu which was at POF but is in UK now.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:...Snafu which was at POF but is in UK now.

Snafu is back in the UK? Thought it was with Freidkin in Texas?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm

How bout hairless joe?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm

I don't think Snafu has come back yet? Maybe it has, sure haven't seen it. And Hairless Joe is the Erickson one that was mentioned in the first post

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 pm

"Snafu" has been based in the US since 2014, owned by Dan Friedkin. I had the privilege of seeing it up close at the Planes of Fame airshow in 2014 ( and I recall it participating in at least one of the Heritage Flight Conferences since then). It is based at the private Comanche Ranch in TX (with the majority of the Friedkin airforce).

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:34 am

So was Snafu owned by The Fighter Collection prior to Friedkin? I could've sworn it went over to UK while Friedkin owned it, especially since he has a handful of planes there at any given time. Guess I'm mixing up my timeline

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

The aircraft was purchased by The Fighter Collection in 2006, at which time it was still known as "Little Demon". The aircraft then underwent a detailed/full restoration, which was completed in 2012 when the aircraft first flew in April that year. The aircraft was operated by TFC from Duxford for just over the next year. Around Flying Legends 2013 the aircraft was sold to Dan Friedkin and later shipped to the US that fall. It was reassembled at Chino, CA and appeared at the 2014 Planes of Fame airshow. It later participated in the 2014 Holloman AFB open house and the 2015 Heritage Flight Conference, but other than that it has been based privately in Texas.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Also exciting are the number of Jug projects to airworthy in the works! :drink3:

Is anyone able to confirm the identity of the example presently at Dakota Territory Air Museum (pictured in this link):

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media ... puerto.jpg

I think someone suggested it's 44-89213, formerly displayed at the old Museum of Speed in Florida.

And if this IS 44-89213, does anyone have more history on her after she left the Puerto Rican ANG? Is she perhaps one of the Jugs that wound up in Nicaragua?

Many TIA.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:07 pm

What about this one? Where is it now? http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p47regis ... 49385.html
Last edited by Pat Carry on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 pm

dirtysidedown430 wrote:How bout hairless joe?

Its owned by Erickson now.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:15 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:OD posted the best resource, but in short you're missing No Guts No Glory which looks like the one in Colorado, Balls Out which is Rod Lewis' and Snafu which was at POF but is in UK now.

I see where No Guts, No Glory is for sale now.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Pat Carry wrote:What about this one? Where is it now? http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p47regis ... 49385.html

Owned/operated by Westpac Restorations, Colorado Springs, Colorado.

All of the flying examples, world-wide (all others are either static, stored, ground-run only, or under restoration to fly):

1. "Balls Out" - Lewis Air Legends, San Antonio, Texas
2. "Dottie Mae" - Allied Fighters, Chino, California
3. "Hairless Joe" - Erickson Aircraft Collection, Madras, Oregon
4. "Hun Hunter XVI" - Neal Melton, Sevierville, Tennessee
5. N3395G - Planes of Fame, Chino, California
6. N47DF - Westpac Restorations, Colorado Springs, Colorado
7. "No Guts No Glory" - Tom Duffy, Millville, New Jersey (currently for sale)
8. "Snafu" - Dan Friedkin, Eagle Pass, Texas
9. "Tallahassee Lassie" - Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum, Everett, Washington
10. "Tarheel Hal" - Lone Star Flight Museum, Houston, Texas
11. "Wicked Wabbit" - John Shoffner, Sevierville, Tennessee

Of those, I know that "Dottie Mae", "Hun Hunter XVI", N47DF and "Tallahassee Lassie" have all been reported to have functioning turbos installed.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 pm

OD/NG wrote:http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65826

I still don't understand why the above thread is not a sticky.

Roger that.
Post a reply