Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: drop tank race cars on jay leno's garage tv show

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm

After over 40 years, I'd still like some more info on this story:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Cubs2jets wrote:
ZRX61 wrote:In related news there's a guy on FB selling F15 drop tanks for $600 each. They're 16ft long & 32in(?) dia.

Is he in Syria or Afghanistan?

C2j

Los Angeles :)

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:39 am

airnutz wrote:
tom d. friedman wrote: The more complicated the driveline the more weight=less speed. To paraphrase a Brit racing term, "you must add lightness".

Curiously, that doesn't hold true for land speed racing. You need weight for traction on the salt, since neither cornering or acceleration is really a factor.
I think the push start is just an assist for cars that are geared so high that they have trouble pulling away from a standstill without bogging the motor down.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 am

About 15 years ago, a car collector friend who knew I was into aviation asked about building one. I told him WWII tanks were rare and likely expensive so he asked about modern tanks.

I gave him an ad out of Trade-A-Plane for F-16 tanks. They seem the right size.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 am

James D wrote:
airnutz wrote:
tom d. friedman wrote: The more complicated the driveline the more weight=less speed. To paraphrase a Brit racing term, "you must add lightness".

Curiously, that doesn't hold true for land speed racing. You need weight for traction on the salt, since neither cornering or acceleration is really a factor.
I think the push start is just an assist for cars that are geared so high that they have trouble pulling away from a standstill without bogging the motor down.

Hmmm...I've followed a few builds and some things were changed in design stated toward reducing weight. Perhaps it was just "racer habit". Maybe it's weight bias toward keeping it in a straight line. I would also think you would want a minimum amount of shifts past the beginning trap line.....push starts and high gears. Room is a major factor of course, reduced complication another. Cleverness is always fun...like omitting a coolant tank and making that another job of the frame tubing...seen that one old school in formula cars. Off topic, but saw a showroom stock car get caught hiding nitrous in the tubing when it was noticed he got faster than "theoretically" possible.
Anywho...fun stuff..

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 am

I am sure that the giant blades listed on Craigs list are from a cooling tower. The fan is mounted horizontal on a 90 degree gearbox driven by a driveshaft from an electric motor under the lip of the tower at the top. The ones I worked on had three towers in the rectangular structure.
Hope this helps if anyone was still curious.
Bonzo

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 am

James D wrote:
airnutz wrote:

My B-i-L's bike had over well 100lb of lead strapped to the swing arm, still couldn't get traction on the salt.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks bonzo!

The blades in question…

And a cooling tower fan being installed…

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

Firebird wrote:Good article here by Hot Rod magazine on the belly tank racers.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/belly-tanks-the-ultimate-hot-rods/

:drink3:

That's a great article. Thanks for posting!
Post a reply