Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: CRAP no longer exists ...

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 pm

I'll still post interesting stuff when I have something to share. I just won't host any more flickr albums anywhere public. To h*ll with these little plastic toy model builders. Must be the glue fumes.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Mark, I'm having trouble even finding the words right now- nothing I say could possibly ease the pain and sadness you feel right now with these horrific mudslides. You're a smart and resourceful guy who gives 1000% to anything you truly care about, and it's always been plain to me how much you care for your friends and neighbors... so though I can't hope to claim I know how you feel, I am pretty certain you must be hurting an awful lot right now, and all I can offer is my honest and sincere sympathy.

As to the archive- honestly, I don't blame you one bit. I spent HOURS in there organizing it, trying to help make it useful for people, like you said a "one stop shop" for reference, simply to try and make life easier for folks so they didn't have to go all over hell's half acre trying to find pics specifically on F6F-5s or Bf 109G-6/AS or the Enola Gay or what have you. So hearing people start bitching about it, well, it got pretty old. And the thread on Hyperscale last weekend where the guy got all salty because he said we "stole" his photos and was complaining to Flickr, then other people started dogpiling on it... after dealing with that sh|t for a couple hours I came to the conclusion I had much better things to do with my time than trying to constantly apologize and placate butthurt individuals. I absolutely HATE that it has come to this, and I know you do too, but I reckon neither one of us have the blood sugar to deal with their crap anymore.

I sincerely appreciate your kind words, and want to thank you for having me along on that project. I have absolutely no regrets about having tried to make the CRAP Archive something really wonderful and useful... but just like everything else nowadays, no good deed goes unpunished. So it goes.

Please take care of yourself, your friends, and your family- those of us who "know" you will be here for you whenever you've got a moment to pop in and say hi.

Your friend,

Lynn

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I'll try to find some warbirds to add to this thread as soon as possible. Now I have to get to bed as tomorrow at 4 am I'm showing up for 'work' with a shovel along with several hundred (I hope) other volunteers. No more time for crying, that can happen some other day, it's time to get to work so our home can be ready to show off again to the world's guests. You folks included.

My old office used to be on the other side of the street from the Montecito Inn on coast village road.

The mudslide started up on the side of the mountains above Montecito and rushed at lightning speed down to the ocean taking literally everything in it's path including other forms of life as well.
Nothing and no one was spared. If you were in the way you were a victim :(

Hero's beyond hero's. These guys need recognition and praise as much as any hero does. They all deserve the Congressional Gold Medal—the highest civilian award of the United States.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Wow, Mark. Those photos show it was even worse than I had imagined. My heart goes out to those affected by this tragedy.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:03 am

thanks, thanks ever so much, Lynn and Mark - bloody great to have it to look forward to (every couple of hours) while it lasted.
The physical world reminds a lucky few survivors of higher priorities though.
and thanks again.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 am

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friends, Mark and my condolences to their families.

Mac

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 am

My condolences, Mark. Horrifying images :(

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 am

Incredible sadness Mark. My thought go out to you and all the other touched by this tragedy. As far as the photo issue, I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all your photos over the years. Thanks for taking the time to do all that and I support any decision you make concerning CRAP.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm

My God Mark, so sorry for your loss, those pictures are pitiful, may God be with all affected by this tragedy!
Hang in there buddy!
Robbie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Well well now. Again thanks folks. I just got back home. Turned away again darn it!!!. This time we were told that if we try to help we could possibly face 6 months in jail.

Santa Barbara County District Attorney Joyce Dudley has made it very clear, if you enter the mandatory evacuation zone in Montecito the consequences are real.
"Officials are still trying to save lives out there so we don't want anyone getting in their way," Dudley told us earlier this week. "And they face up to six months in county jail and a $1,000 fine. We don't want anyone placing themselves or others in danger."

Bad news for those of us who want to help, good news knowing that there are enough people wanting to help that the DA would need to state what she stated. We'll wait until needed, but it's not easy waiting and feeling helpless.

News on the bear on the beach. (photo I posted) Come to find out that was someone's stuffed bear in their home. Just another good news, bad news story. Good the bear wasn't killed in the mudslide, bad the stuffed bear was ripped out of someone's home. Crazy stuff like this all over.

Here's a good link that will show you some before & after stuff.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... 3c0697ca7c

Sorry about wasting WIX Hangar space with this thread. Wasn't intending to really do this, but it just developed this way.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Mark, Don't despair about not being about able to help. During 9/11 attack many qualified volunteers were turned back onscene. Many were from out of state who came along way to help. I recall some of it may of had to do mandatory union enrollment. Anyway.....there maybe other ways to volunteer where you're at thru groups like the Red Cross if they have onsite stations set up or maybe the local CAP unit??

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Can’t thank you all enough for the kind words. Thank you all for the PM’s, emails etc.
Very very humbled. I haven’t been affected personally like others have. I have been affected emotionally by the loss of two gals I knew. That hurts and the damage to my beloved community hurts, but nothing I feel comes close to what others who lost everything and loved ones feel. There’s a real strong sense of wanting to help in any way here right now. My phone is ringing quite a bit. There’s several go fund me sites created for those who really lost a lot. I’m sitting here watching the football game and donating what’s needed to all of them. Not everybody who lives in Montecito is wealthy. I have this feeling that is not easy to explain that whatever is needed to help those in need I have to try to offer. Enough doesn’t seem like enough.

I’ve always been an outsider to disaster all these years, but not now. I feel like the epicenter and it is giving me an overwhelming sense of obligation and frustration. There's no politics here, no racism, no sexism, no class structure, no one better than anyone, no rudeness, no cruelty. Poor people, rich people, white people, black people, Hispanics, Asians, all people from everywhere who just want to help in anyway.

Why does it take disasters for humans to be good humans. It seems disasters bring out the real person inside all of us. If only it could last.

Thanks for allowing me your time.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear this Mark. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:54 am

On Sunday mornings I visit several discussion boards, when I open WIX I go to the 'Hanger' and instead of reading the first new post I look to the right to see if 'Mark Allen M' has posted something and go there if I see his name.

I did not expect to see this.

Having lived the majority of my life in Southeastern Pennsylvania I cannot comprehend the idea of a massive mud slide, let alone one that would take the lives of people I know.

The term 'My Condolences' does not seem to convey my thoughts, but I have no other words.

As for your pictures and the problems with 'copyright claimers', I know you've dealt with this before; please continue as you have.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks Dave and everyone else. There's some good people here. Clean up is starting and life continues ....

As for the trivial photos? There's the usual BS arguments starting with the modeling groups over what's legally right, copyright rules and laws and the rest of the usual egomaniac BS.
The usual wannabe know-it-all's are up in arms bickering and the other folks who just wanted to nice resource to access old airplane photos are understandably disappointed. It's a shame to shut it down, but like I stated it's not worth the arguing and finger pointing any longer. If only people who felt the need to be offended about their alleged photos showing up in CRAP would have the class to either contact Lynn Ritger or myself there would never be a problem.

I completely understand copyright laws and rules, but when Joe blow says it's OK to copy his photos and host them in a flickr account or post them on a website and states they belong to him, I assume he's not BS'ing me. How can I prove him as a liar and why would I need to?, If there's no sign of a watermark, no sign of a copyright, no original source listed, how am I supposed to know who truely owns them. Like I've stated a thousand times, I roll the dice and take my chances and if someone comes along and states those were his photos I simply take them down, no questions asked and no need to be shown proof they do indeed belong to him. I do that to avoid any conflicts because it's simply not worth bickering over. Real simple really, but for someone who is offended and doesn't bother to contact me yet instead feels the need to chastise Lynn or myself on a public internet forum. That's were I get pissed and state "where's your proof you own them", you have zero watermarks, zero anything to prove you own them, yet your angry at me because you were foolish enough to post them or host them without proof you own them on the internet and hundreds of people right click and save and re-post them, re-host them and state anyone can feel free to have them. Don't blame me for your mistakes, ..... but this is all moot now, the CRAP flickr site is gone!!! and I mean gone!!! ... No more bickering about OLD AIRPLANE PHOTOS.

Sorry to those of you who enjoyed the albums, it was a cool thing while it lasted.
Post a reply