Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Status of Corsair N179PT

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 am

Anyone know the current status of F4U-5 Corsair N179PT? It used to be a regular at airshows and fly-ins in the midwest but I haven't seen or heard anything about it in a couple years. Is it down for maintenance?

Thanks for any info.

Here she is at Elkhart for the warbird fly-in in 2014.

ImageF4U-5 Corsair by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

Re: Status of Corsair N179PT

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am

Damaged in 2016. I haven't seen any updates on repairs.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/07/c ... hters.html

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am

Japanese Kills on a Post War paint job?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 am

Jesse C. wrote:Japanese Kills on a Post War paint job?

So...post-war Mustangs can carry German victory tallies,

but post-war Corsairs can't carry Japanese tallies?

What do you have against Corsairs, Jesse? :axe:

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm

I hadn't heard about the incident. Thanks for that information.

Jesse C. wrote:Japanese Kills on a Post War paint job?

The paint scheme commemorates Capt. Phillip C. Delong, who totaled 11 aerial victories in the USMC during WWII. He also totaled two kills in Korea. I don't know that his F4U-4 carried his WWII scoreboard, but have seen several artist prints that show just that. It's not unreasonable to think that if that were the case, his F4U-5 would have carried the kills as well. It may just be that the paint scheme is meant to commemorate DeLong and the owners wish to show the scoreboard as part of that scheme.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 pm

It's had the kill markings through at least the last three owners. They were on there when Jim Read had it.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

I miss seeing Jim fly that airplane off the wing of Cathy Harrell's T-34 ... always made for some fun! :D
Post a reply