Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Some of what was left of Japanese airpower ...

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am

Cubs2jets wrote:Mark,

You're way more informed on these subjects than I am. Walk me through why you think these two are the same plane? I see: very different settings, on is painted one natural metal, one is damaged (bent prop) sitting on flatbed the other appears in flyable condition.

C2j

C2J, I think you mean Mike(Furline), not Mark. The B5N Kate evaluated by the Technical Air Intelligence Center as TAIC 6 was captured with the tailcode KEB-306. It's odd to me the TAIC would replace the hinomaru roundel after stripping the paint.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 am

Super nice collection of photos that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for posting them!

aeroeng

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

airnutz wrote:
Cubs2jets wrote:Mark,

You're way more informed on these subjects than I am. Walk me through why you think these two are the same plane? I see: very different settings, on is painted one natural metal, one is damaged (bent prop) sitting on flatbed the other appears in flyable condition.

C2j

C2J, I think you mean Mike(Furline), not Mark. The B5N Kate evaluated by the Technical Air Intelligence Center as TAIC 6 was captured with the tailcode KEB-306. It's odd to me the TAIC would replace the hinomaru roundel after stripping the paint.

It was captured on Saipan in 44, the lower prop blade was cut off so it would fit on the trailer with gear retracted. The natural aluminum finish is back in the States after being stripped/evaluated. It flew with the US Stars & Bars for a bit, the hinomaru must have been added back on at a later date.

Army Signal Corps & Air Force Photo Collections, NARA
Last edited by mike furline on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Mike,

Thank you for your (expected) informative reply.

C2j

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Oops! Already answered.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Mark Allen M wrote:Image
USN Helldiver Over Japanese Aircraft at Atsugi, Japan 1945

Note the rare G5N "Liz" four-engine bomber on the lower right. Developed from the failed Douglas DC-4E transport prototype (which they sold to Japan.) The bomber was equally disappointing. Only a few were built, and served as long-range transports.

SN

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm

fantastic pictures :drink3:

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 am

A fantastic set of photos Mark!
Thanks, once again, for posting! :)
Post a reply