Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Which begs the question: Can any warbird restoration now win a trophy at Oshkosh or Reno without them? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Dan K wrote:
Which begs the question: Can any warbird restoration now win a trophy at Oshkosh or Reno without them? :wink:

Can't win without the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I darn sure don’t have enough room for a couple of pallets of microwave ovens right now :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm 

Great pictures Mark. The gal working the press with the tail cone sections looks like she is gluing the thin wood veneer to the outside of the tanks. I think they used more wood building the shipping crates than on the tanks themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Cvairwerks wrote:
Plys were fitted to the mold, a sheet of adhesive was laid in and the next ply fitted. When complete, the second half of the mold was applied and clamped and the entire assembly run thru a microwave curing tunnel, with 30kW+ of energy focused on the curing section. Just a couple of minutes later, the part could be removed from the mold and be ready for the next assembly process.

Cvair, when did this microwave process technique come into use?

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:

Cvair, when did this microwave process technique come into use?[/quote]

The process became widely used by Fairchild in late 1941 or early 1942. Here is a video about the AT-21, with some XC-82 stuff at the front. There is some shots of building up parts, including a spar, showing the dry layup and going to the curing chamber. It also shows both the autoclave method for dry layup as well as some of the older wet layup work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyYrbxR0gE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Craig, having seen that video and knowing of your AT-21 project, all I can say is good luck! :drink3:

By the way, did Col. Rohr ever find his way to that Gunner crash site? Was anything recovered?
I'm guessing from the AAIR listings it was 41-11737 in Rhode Island or 42-11732 in New Jersey?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:11 pm 

pretty soon they realized it didn't use much more wood to crate the entire P-47 and they just shipped the entire plane across the drink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Chris...it is a project, not as big as Ray's and Don's are tho. As to Rob finding one of those wrecks....I don't have a clue if he was ever able to physically chase it down. The last I heard about him was that he was recovering from the heart transplant. Have not heard anything else about him or from him since then. I hope he is doing well and would like a chance to talk to him one of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Cool video of the AT-21 and Ranger particulars. Thanks Craig! The comments section below the AT-21 vid was also interesting for the wayward exclamation of one fellow claiming, "Not a great aircraft" with a link to another discussion. That discussion link it turned out was about the Fairchild Metroliner. Luckily there was a couple of folks who knew the Metro pretty well which made for some interesting reading.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF