Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm 

Hi all - long time visitor, first time poster :)

I was recently fortunate enough to visit the former Tadji Aerodrome in northern PNG, and am trying to figure out the identity of the Beaufort wrecks I saw while there. I've gone through the RAAF aircraft data cards for the Beauforts and consulted other online databases so I have a pretty good idea of the aircraft that were written off/lost at Tadji, which I have compared with known recoveries to date and the ID information I was able to get from the bits and pieces that remain (which was not much due to disassembly, removal of ID plates and the effects of being outdoors for nearly 75 years). Through this I'm pretty confident I have the ID for at least three of the wrecks, with several other still a relative mystery.

If anyone on the forum has visited the site or worked on the recovery of components and can recall the specific identity of any of the remaining wrecks, or has any other information that could provide that result I would greatly appreciate it; at the moment, one of the biggest problems I'm having is trying to figure out exactly what parts of each of the 'recovered' wrecks were pulled out of the site as it appears only partial recovery of some airframes was undertaken (ie only the stern, cockpit, or rear fuselage section was removed, leaving some substantial structural components behind).

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 pm 

Best to ask on the adf serials forum as there is some very knowledgeable folk on there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The P-40 I fly at Vintage Wings came from Tadji. The story is here http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... count.aspx

Rob Greinert found the remains there, while looking for Blenheim bits, in the 90s I believe.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 pm 

Thanks for the replies people, your input is appreciated. I'll head over to ADF serials and ask some questions over there and see how I go as well!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:03 pm 

I suggest you do a bit of Googling on the names Charles Darby, Neville Mines and Monty Armstrong along with Yesterdays Air Force as those three were the main movers in the recovery of the aircraft on behalf of YAF.

best of luck