Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

CoastieJohn wrote:
garbs wrote:
I noticed some of the target shadows are facing 180 degrees from each other. I'm taking a stab and speculating we're seeing a composite of track lines fused together to form the image we see?

I'm with you on this. Definitely a composite using several scans. I don't think you can get this level of detail from a wider swath scan.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Mark for the photos of the ship.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Perhaps Paul Allen will try to locate the carriers Wasp the Hornet next.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CoastieJohn wrote:
For grits-n-giggles, has anyone located any archival video footage of the Lex showing some of the located airframes? That would be something to see 1942 footage and then see a current color pic of the same airframe.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675054241_USS-Lexington_aircraft-carrier_naval-guns_aircraft-stand-stationary-on-the-flight-deck

Im sure some might turn up. I thought I read somewhere that a TBD T-8 had been sighted, this vid shows a TBD 6-T-8. Not sure if its the same aircraft in the earlier paint scheme or not. Like today, aircraft markings can change from one day to the next. Im sure Paul's team has images of BuNos and the research efforts are most likely on their way as we speak as I'd bet a shiny nickle the certain unpublished images and info have already been shared with the NMNA in Pensacola.

Quote:
Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat fighters, of Fighting Squadron Three (VF-3) in flight near Naval Air Station, Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii, 10 April 1942. The planes are Bureau # 3976 (F-1, foreground), flown by VF-3 Commanding Officer Lieutenant Commander John S. Thach, and Bureau # 3986 (F-13), flown by Lieutenant Edward H. O'Hare. Photographed by Photographer Second Class H.S. Fawcett.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives (photo # 80-G-10613).

On February 20, 1942, F-1, flown by Thach and LT Noel Gayler, shot down a bomber and assisted in downing two more bombers and a patrol plane. F-13, flown by Thach and ENS Leon Haynes, shot down a bomber and assisted in downing another bomber and a patrol plane.

Both of these aircraft were lost a little less than a month later with USS Lexington (CV-2), during the Battle of Coral Sea.

Hopefully the team spots these 2 Wildcats down there as well.

Shay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

More photos today from the RV Petrel folks.

This is the port aft 5" gun just forward of the break in stern section of hull.

These are the two quad guns just aft of the exhaust.

another gun outboard of the exhaust stacks. 20mm

This is the break in the hull just forward of frame 72. The ship just falls away into the seafloor from here forward.

Port side 20mm anti-aircraft guns. 1 deck below the flight deck. This is where we first came in to the main body of the ship.

These were 20mm gun mounts outboard of the exhaust stacks

These are the 5" guns on the starboard aft side of the ship. It has collapesed and the flight deck now sits vertically. You can see the wood decking that was on the flight deck.

This is the quad anti aircraft gun mounted in front of the exhaust stacks.

This is the 3rd mount from aft going forward for the quad anti-aircraft guns. It is 1 deck up from the lower two.

Torpedo damage around frame 72 on the port side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Shay wrote:
CoastieJohn wrote:
For grits-n-giggles, has anyone located any archival video footage of the Lex showing some of the located airframes? That would be something to see 1942 footage and then see a current color pic of the same airframe.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675054241_USS-Lexington_aircraft-carrier_naval-guns_aircraft-stand-stationary-on-the-flight-deck

Im sure some might turn up. I thought I read somewhere that a TBD T-8 had been sighted, this vid shows a TBD 6-T-8. Not sure if its the same aircraft in the earlier paint scheme or not. Like today, aircraft markings can change from one day to the next. Im sure Paul's team has images of BuNos and the research efforts are most likely on their way as we speak as I'd bet a shiny nickle the certain unpublished images and info have already been shared with the NMNA in Pensacola.

I located a vid last night showing what looked like a side number "8"-T-7 taking off. Again....not sure about schemes and numbers either. Smarter guys will have to address that aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My guess is that the large ship-shaped shadow is where the ship made the initial strike against the bottom and then it bounced/slipped into its current amount and location of pieces. Might explain why the debris is fairly close together. Meanwhile some of those divits are things like equipment , that slid off the deck, and pieces blown off the ship from the explosions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for posting all the pictures Mark.

It's appreciated.

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So I think this a place for my only Lexington story. My father in law made petty officer (electrical) on her before the war. He told me that thier were spaces around the exhaust stacks that were unused but could be accessed. One of these spaces was known as the "Poker Room" where there was almost always a game going on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:36 am 

CoastieJohn wrote:
Shay wrote:
CoastieJohn wrote:

I located a vid last night showing what looked like a side number "8"-T-7 taking off. Again....not sure about schemes and numbers either. Smarter guys will have to address that aspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6trNkAm-ByE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJJuDkzM6uc
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... iring-guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPKwdWVrJ4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have only seen pictures of 3-4 Devastators and the one F4F. Are we to assume that the other Devastators and three Duntless aircraft are in much poorer condition (or more substantially wrecked?). Or perhaps identified at a greater distance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

dakoblue wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6trNkAm-ByE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJJuDkzM6uc
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... iring-guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPKwdWVrJ4[/quote]

The first Youtube is the one that has the "8"-T-7 at second :11 - :12.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Bow of Lex

Port forward part of the flight deck. It is nearly vertical

The teak deck still appears to be in good condition

The starboard side quad 20mm anti-aircraft guns mounted on the bow

More aircraft photos coming ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CoastieJohn wrote:
The first Youtube is the one that has the "8"-T-7 at second :11 - :12.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next