Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TBDude wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:
Might as well re-post these TBD detail photos in this thread as they seem to fit.

Mark .. that is a stunning collection of TBD photos, many of which I have never seen published, and filled with so many fascinating details. May I ask the source? Was it some kind of period internal Douglas company folder or a USN study? Great find and great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Most of them may have originally come from a fellow modeler and TBD nut, Derek Brown; he's been gathering info on the TBD for close to 20 years now. He posted these in two threads over on Hyperscale earlier this week. A couple of the ones toward the bottom might have come from my old TBD page over on DetailSITE, I'm working on updating that now with better quality pics, copies of all the Petrel shots, and all of Derek's info as well; I may try to incorporate some of Tommy Thomason's ordnance info as well.

Cheers,

Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most all of the TBD photos in this thread I posted here on WIX several years ago in another thread. You can look that one up as well with a search under “TBD from the factory to the field”. I have a large file of collected TBD stuff from years of searches. These are some of the best out there.

Lynn is also correct as several came from his sources listed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OMG YOU GUYS. :-O

T-12; I've seen modern aircraft in worse shape than this. Note that the torpedo retaining straps are still in place!!!

T-11; his one looks like it's in the best condition of all.

T-4 atop T-9

T-8

T-5

T-3; I bet this is the one that we see getting blown off the back of the ship shortly before Lex went down.

T-1; LCDR Joe Taylor's ship!!! Note the forward antenna insulator is still attached to the antenna.

And drum roll please - Carl Winter, step up and collect your prize for being first to positively identify this as Gayler's ship!

Excitedly posting,

Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am 

I so wish Admiral Gayler could have lived long enough to see this day. This TBD famine to feast is one for the books alright. Thank you Paul Allen and R/V Petrel, you've made alot of folks thrilled beyond words, with this deep sea fishing expedition. I guess we can all stop feeling frustration at the disintegrating coral reef TBDs now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am 

oh, and do we suspect the F4F wing on the floor is part of Gayler's ship, or yet another? SOOO g e e k i n g out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am 

Funny how the Felix emblem sits a tiny bit higher on the left side of the aircraft than the right. On this side it is farther above the panel line. Again, the markings perfectly match what we have noted on F-13 (and Gayler was officially assigned F-13). I`m praying they caught images of the buno, to see if this 3986 once and for all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Absolutely incredible! Thanks to all who have continued to post images and thanks to Paul Allen and his team for making so many available.

With the amount of wrecks that are now known throughout the world, it seems rare that we get something new to dream on these days. It's cool to feel the magic of the discovery again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Courier Sportster wrote:
oh, and do we suspect the F4F wing on the floor is part of Gayler's ship, or yet another? SOOO g e e k i n g out

From another F4F .......the initial pictures of Gayler's Wildcat appear to show both wings in place. The image of the other wing panel is the port wing from a different Wildcat laying upside down on he ocean floor.

Very Exciting......GO Team Petrel!!

Shay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Do these aircraft from this time period have Roundels on both Top & Bottom wing panel positions? It seems that less than a month after the Battle of the Coral Sea the red center was painted white, but when did the national insignia get regulated to only the topside Port wing and the bottom side Starboard wing?

Shay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Shay wrote:
Do these aircraft from this time period have Roundels on both Top & Bottom wing panel positions? It seems that less than a month after the Battle of the Coral Sea the red center was painted white, but when did the national insignia get regulated to only the topside Port wing and the bottom side Starboard wing?

Shay

There was a LOT of flux in marking regs between late 1940 and mid 1942... the first camo scheme applied over the golden wings scheme was an overall light grey, with single nat'l insignia above the port wing and below the starboard. This was then superseded by a dark grey or dark blue-grey topcoat, still with single insignia as noted above, and this was in place through Aug or Sept 1941 (going from memory here, don't shoot me if I'm off on the dates). Around Nov/Dec 41, the red/white tail stripes started showing up, along with double insignia above the wing... I think! I'll go back through my books when I'm home this evening to confirm that. Anyway, the double insignia remained in place until around Jul/Aug 1943 when the first insignia with the bars was introduced; the marking was then reduced to one above port and one below starboard again.

Here's a pic of CV-6's airwing in Oct 1941 from Peter Stackpole of LIFE:

Confused? I don't blame ya. :)

Cheers,

Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm too amazed to be confused Lynn .... Xmas in March for many of us pop2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A few observations that (to me anyway) are undeniable.

1. The F4F was indeed flown by Gayler, but also undeniably shows that another pilots name was painted over to allow Gayler's name to be applied.

2. Same as above for the 'F-5', this proof certainly helps with the argument that this particular F4F could very well have been flown by O'hare. Which is extremely cool.

3. Every aircraft shown in the photos shows where the life rafts were taken out and used to by the crew to abandon ship. You can see this on the F4F fuselage and the TBD wings. Also very interesting.

Quite a time capsule in those photos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 pm 

Mark Allen M wrote:
A few observations that (to me anyway) are undeniable.

1. The F4F was indeed flown by Gayler, but also undeniably shows that another pilots name was painted over to allow Gayler's name to be applied.

2. Same as above for the 'F-5', this proof certainly helps with the argument that this particular F4F could very well have been flown by O'hare. Which is extremely cool.

3. Every aircraft shown in the photos shows where the life rafts were taken out and used to by the crew to abandon ship. You can see this on the F4F fuselage and the TBD wings. Also very interesting.

Quite a time capsule in those photos.

Gayler said ,he saw the guys taking out the liferafts from planes :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but are there any shots yet of the SBD's?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Definitely Christmas in spring! One thing I am amazed by is how FLAT the bottom seems to be in the spot where the aircraft and ship came down. Maybe no SBD photos because they are trying to figure out how it came down and "landed" perfectly on the bottom pop2

Tom P.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next