Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Poor man's F-82 Twin Mustang? ...

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Or ... Twin Mustang trainer?. Kind of neat.

Grady Thrasher's Unique Twin Ercoupe. Twin Ercoupe NX93384 c 1947
Here's the link with the story & photos.
http://ercoupe.com/story_4.php

Re: Poor man's F-82 Twin Mustang? ...

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Interesting Mark!

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:31 pm

I've recently seen...probably here.. a similar twin Mooney.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:23 pm

That machine's still around.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Mark Allen M wrote:That machine's still around.

Wonder what it would take to buy and resurrect it from that state.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Probably a cheaper option might be to purchase 2 x Aircoupes and start from scratch.

I originally learned to fly in an Aircoupe (conventional controls version) and it has always left a soft spot for me. Just a neat little aeroplane, seemed to do everything at the same speed : climb, cruise, or descent : it was always around 65 - 70 knots. The original variable attitude - constant speed machine.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Remember the He-111Z? Possibly the start of mating airframes together. The Zwilling brothers weren’t known for tneir aeronautical smarts. They also paired up a Zdehavilland Beaver postwar in Canada. it was a flop. Heard the twin fuselage Piper a Cub wS lousy.. The coolest thing about this idea is that now you have a four place airplane and can cheaply log multi- time. I doubt it will fly on one engine , but would like more info.
The F-82 Twin Mustangs may be the most successful of these attempts. The P-82 actually makes sense when you consider the needs that were anticipated for the invasion of Japan , would it have been necessary.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Um....
The paired deHavilland Beaver story was an April fools prank from Vintage Wings of Canada.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... eaver.aspx

Just sayin' :hide:

Andy

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Where is it currently located?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm

So how do you go about requesting the local FAA official to certify that aircraft?
or better yet, where do you find an A & P to who is crazy enough to do a project like that?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 am

According to what I found on the internet, the Twin Ercoupe is in Tocomcari (sp) NM. Apparently, it's not the one seen in the old photos.
It might be a good basis for a restoration...looks dry at least.
Bonus points for the restorer to paint it in a F-82 color scheme!

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 am

Aviation history never ceases to amaze me. Thanks Mark!

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 am

RyanShort1 wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:That machine's still around.

Wonder what it would take to buy and resurrect it from that state.

they are two different machines, and I dont think the surviving NM example ever flew. That said, it would be a cubic money project... A lot of the Vans enthusiasts have dreamed of a twin RV-8 to replicate the look of a twin mustang. I dont think anyone is building one though.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm

seagull61785 wrote: (It) seemed to do everything at the same speed : climb, cruise, or descent : it was always around 65 - 70 knots.

Hmm... probably constructed to use two pilots to reduce fatigue on those excruciatingly long filghts... like from Stockton to Modesto.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:43 pm

menards wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote: A lot of the Vans enthusiasts have dreamed of a twin RV-8 to replicate the look of a twin mustang. I dont think anyone is building one though.

Somebody did manage to "cobble" together a couple of Yak-55's though!
Attachments
Yak110.jpg
Post a reply