Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Warbirds Over The Beach, May 19-20, 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am

So time for my annual thread on this, I note the MAM schedule shows both the bf-109 and the FW-190 flying at this years show, with all of the usual flyers. Also the King Cobra, so looks like CAF will be back. Any other guest aircraft?

Believe it was a training issue with the bf-109 not flying last year, so looking forward to it as I have never seen a 109 fly.

A great place for up close action!

http://militaryaviationmuseum.org/airsh ... -schedule/

Re: Warbirds Over The Beach, May 19-20, 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 pm

sandiego89 wrote:Believe it was a training issue with the bf-109 not flying last year, so looking forward to it as I have never seen a 109 fly.

And weather. Last year the weather wasn't so conducive for flying rare airplanes, both wind and ceilings. Saturday in particular, nothing flew other than the ride airplanes in the am.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am

sandiego89 wrote:Any other guest aircraft?

I know that CAF Dixie wing is bringing their P-63, P-51, SBD, and their Corsair. The B-25 will be coming back this year as well.

sandiego89 wrote:I note the MAM schedule shows both the bf-109 and the FW-190 flying at this years show

I believe that might have been last years lineup as we no longer have the T-6, but it is probably still very close to this years lineup.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Not a fan of the new website, no webcams of hangers. Fighter Factory webcams still down and not a whole lot being added to the Facebook site. Warbirds are an addiction and I constantly need my "Fix".

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 am

pjpahs wrote:Not a fan of the new website, no webcams of hangers. Fighter Factory webcams still down and not a whole lot being added to the Facebook site. Warbirds are an addiction and I constantly need my "Fix".

They seem to update stuff in spurts. But, in fairness, alot of the cool big stuff happens in spurts.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am

pjpahs wrote:Not a fan of the new website, no webcams of hangers. Fighter Factory webcams still down and not a whole lot being added to the Facebook site. Warbirds are an addiction and I constantly need my "Fix".

Some bugs are still being worked out. The website is slowly being expanding which I believe will include new and improved cameras. As for the Facebook site, if you are referring to the Fighter Factory they are busy this time of year getting all of the aircraft ready for the airshow, but hopefully we’ll see some more soon.

Fri May 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Some exciting news for Warbirds Over the Beach this year. Looks like we'll have a flyover from an F-15 on Saturday:
https://www.facebook.com/MilitaryAviationMuseum/photos/a.97204101796.82493.93673361796/10156311396346797/?type=3&theater

Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Too bad it wasn’t this weekend. Forecast for next weekend not looking too good....

Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 am

Anyone know how to do an 'anti-rain' dance???

90-100% chance of rain and T-storms every day starting tomorrow and going into next week. WTF!

Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Doesn't look good :cry:

Right now maybe a chance for Sunday, but with all the rain would the grass 'runway' be too messy for them to use??

Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

Waltz41 wrote:Doesn't look good :cry:

Right now maybe a chance for Sunday, but with all the rain would the grass 'runway' be too messy for them to use??

Depends on how much rain it gets on Saturday.

On the positive side, we haven't gotten as much rain so far this week as was forecasted. Most of the T-storms the last few days have been west of here.

Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

Fearless Tower wrote:
Waltz41 wrote:Doesn't look good :cry:

Depends on how much rain it gets on Saturday.

On the positive side, we haven't gotten as much rain so far this week as was forecasted. Most of the T-storms the last few days have been west of here.

Yes, I'm local and the rain so far has been light. The weather gods are definitely attracted to this event- we often have weeks of glorious weather in the weeks preceding and following the event, with rain during :x

A few years ago they tested the grass with the visiting Helldiver and her tail wheel dug in too much after heavy rains. I believe the lighter Wildcat was the only fighter to fly that day- the trainers and liaison aircraft flew fine. Jerry fired up the P-51 so we could see and hear her come to life. Other years we have had a mix of great flying both days (plus Friday), but other years with either Saturday or Sunday (or both) reduced flying or scrubbed. It is a great museum and great event. Fingers crossed.

Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm

It's almost a 6 hour drive for me.....I'm really hoping Sunday might be ok. Last year I came down on Saturday and as soon as it was show time, clouds rolled in and ceiling got too low.....it was a taxi fest!! Really was looking forward to this year.......hope it works out!

Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Waltz41 wrote:It's almost a 6 hour drive for me.....I'm really hoping Sunday might be ok. Last year I came down on Saturday and as soon as it was show time, clouds rolled in and ceiling got too low.....it was a taxi fest!! Really was looking forward to this year.......hope it works out!

Right now, it looks like Saturday is going to be a wash, literally. Sunday is looking better in the afternoon (at least MVFR), but the big question will be how much water the runway gets tomorrow.

At least they've had some windows to fly the airplanes this week. I watched the Mossie fly about 1000' over me on Monday. That was a cool sight!

Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Some video I was able to get over the past week so far:

Bf-109: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHcvWJwoQQ

Mosquito (sorry for the lower quality on this one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09TQUwJups

Another one of the Bf-109 and Hurricane coming out soon

Don't forget that the airshow season for the museum is just beginning! The summer of flight begins May 26 with the Spitfire!
Post a reply