Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Milwaukee B-25 damaged in weekend storm

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am

It will be interesting to see what the NMUSAF decides to do with this. Hopefully they don't send the scrappers north from Chanute...
Linked from the B-25 Fan page on Facebook-

Re: Milwaukee B-25 damaged in weekend storm

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 am

Oh no! Hopefully they restore her.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

Glad to see that the wing did not drop to the ground, where more damage would have ensued.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Not surprised that the wing broke. I am surprised where it broke after working on a b25 for the navy museum as part of deal for DOC and taking the fuel cells out what i saw in was in there was scary to say the least. I figure it would break on the inboard side of the the engines. Who was that guy who got all the 25s for the coo coo nest movie said he looked for broken rivet heads on the top of inboard wings. But real coming problem is going to be where the mounting steel bolts to the airplane. Thats dissimilar metal stuff is going bring to whole airplane down.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Warbirdnerd wrote:It will be interesting to see what the NMUSAF decides to do with this. Hopefully they don't send the scrappers north from Chanute...
Linked from the B-25 Fan page on Facebook-

For some reason, that's bringing to mind a memory of a model built long long ago...but I can't quite put my finger on it...I seem to recall much wailing and gnashing of teeth.... :?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 am

I am wondering if the group that assembled the ship on the pedestal only used a minimum number of bolts to hold the outer wing panel on. IIRC, there are a large number of them and kind of a pain to access...

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Its going to have to find an indoor display there at the airport or it will be headed to the scrapyard I'm afraid.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Pat Carry wrote:Its going to have to find an indoor display there at the airport or it will be headed to the scrapyard I'm afraid.

They won’t scrap a b-25.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:10 pm

No need to panic, TIGHAR has been alerted! Necessary funding is being allocated to find the plane now! :axe:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Jesse C. wrote:No need to panic, TIGHAR has been alerted! Necessary funding is being allocated to find the plane now! :axe:

I suspect they'll launch an expedition to the Pacific, have a good few weeks there, then issue various press releases saying that a bolt has been found with a thread form similar to that used on 1940s aircraft. Then someone on here will say "No - it's up a pole in Milwaukee", which will result in numerous counter-claims by TIGHAR, a few promises of a definitive report, ditto for a video/book of the story, a couple of trips back to the Pacific and finally a "peer-reviewed" report which will prove 100% that the aircraft never existed.

Meanwhile back in the real world I hope it retains its TB-25N config post-rescue.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Jesse C. wrote:No need to panic, TIGHAR has been alerted! Necessary funding is being allocated to find the plane now! :axe:

Oh that is just sick and wrong. And also hilarious! :lol:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

That really sucks. I wasn't aware of her when I flew to MKE last year for Oshkosh I saw it when I was dropping the rental car off and running late for my flight. I didn't know where to stop and get a shot and I needed to catch my flight and I figured I will just make it a priority in 2018 when I fly up to Oshkosh next. I also have to get that F-4 on property.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 am

Just in from TIGHAR HQ....
They believe it's one of the Doolittle aircraft.

They're asking for donations for a Greyhound ticket to Milwaukee.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Part of the history of this TB-25 includes EAA founder Paul Poberezny.

44-30133 was one of his rides during his time as maintenance officer with the ANG unit in Milwaukee.

(pics courtesy Mitchell Gallery of Flight facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/MitchellGalleryOfFlight

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 pm

menards wrote:
Pat Carry wrote:Its going to have to find an indoor display there at the airport or it will be headed to the scrapyard I'm afraid.

They won’t scrap a b-25.

Never underestimate the stupidity of bureaucrats.
Post a reply