Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

NAS Glenview post WWII FG-1D Corsair photo request

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 am

We’re looking to have accurate markings on the WHF Corsair representative of post WWII NAS Glenview. I’ve seen photos of a few of them but failed to save them. Can anyone help us out with photos?
Thank you,
David

Re: NAS Glenview post WWII FG-1D Corsair photo request

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

FG-1D's NAS Glenview 1949

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Judging by the shades of color, is the fuselage band near the tail white? Off white? Looks the same color as the numbers.
Thanks

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Band and numbers are yellow. Letters are yellow as well. Only white is star and bar

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Mark Allen M wrote:Band and numbers are yellow. Letters are yellow as well. Only white is star and bar

Yellow and not orange on the band Mark? In the postwar period before the 50's were they yellow? I've always seen them orange as per your second video you posted in the '50's NAS Glenview thread.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

Definitely want to get the markings right. Seems as a number of changes in the early 50’s. The V code on the tail was added sometime in the 50’s and not in the 1949 photos Mark posted.
Thanks,
David

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 am

Depends on what "post-war" era you are interested in. 1946 to 1949 most all stateside US Naval Reserve units had the scheme shown in the FG-1D photos I posted. If your looking to 1949 thru the 50's you will see the orange band, star & red line bar etc. Many examples of both floating around.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Ahhh! Thank you, Sir! I'm sure I've seen it before...something else I've forgotten.. :roll:

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Of course I gotta chime in - but I don't have much:

Fom the NAS Glenview Museum: Model of #24 above

Same source: #62 fished out of the drink

Have you checked with the NAS Glenview Museum? I'm busy this weekend but I can go by next weekend and check through their photos to see if they have more.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi Chris,
I haven’t been to the museum yet, but I will definitely plan to go next week. The orange band seems to be on the later models of Corsairs. I haven’t seen a picture yet of the orange band and V code on an FG-1D model.
Thanks much,
David
Post a reply