Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Littlest Gunship

Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 am

An interesting concept, mount twin M3 "Grease" guns on an O-1 Bird Dog

Source: The Vietnam War Era

Re: Littlest Gunship

Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Very interesting. I have a book somewhere about the Vietnam gunships, and the last page showed two guys mounting an M-60 into an O-1.

Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Chad95XJ wrote:Very interesting. I have a book somewhere about the Vietnam gunships, and the last page showed two guys mounting an M-60 into an O-1.

I've seen some wild field mod gunships but never this one. Seems like a .45 ACP round would be less than effective.

Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Years ago when I had an old C-150, I would take my British Sten Mk II up and aim it out my window, do a pylon turn around a friends lake, and unload a magazine on full auto. So, it was an AC-150J.

Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:I've seen some wild field mod gunships but never this one. Seems like a .45 ACP round would be less than effective.

So you have no problem being on the receiving end? :D

Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 pm

I would think the challenge would be reloading!

Tom P.

Tue May 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:Seems like a .45 ACP round would be less than effective.

Gravity is your friend unless you're the target! .45 ACP rain would not feel good. If your supply sarge don't show ya no love with an M-60 or mini-gun request, you run whatcha brung. :wink:

Wed May 16, 2018 5:47 am

airnutz wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:Seems like a .45 ACP round would be less than effective.

Gravity is your friend unless you're the target! .45 ACP rain would not feel good. If your supply sarge don't show ya no love with an M-60 or mini-gun request, you run whatcha brung. :wink:

It's better than nothing but you'd probaly be better off dumping a bucket of cartridges out the window :)

And no Taigh, still don't want to be shot at by it :)

Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am

Scott WRG Editor wrote:you'd probaly be better off dumping a bucket of cartridges out the window :)

Surely you jest Sir? I'll take terminal velocity with an order of muzzle velocity on the side, please.... :D

Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

airnutz wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:you'd probaly be better off dumping a bucket of cartridges out the window :)

Surely you jest Sir? I'll take terminal velocity with an order of muzzle velocity on the side, please.... :D

Unless you're really low (and vulnerable) your impact area would be huge.Even at twice effective range at 200m you'd be a sitting duck for any automatic weapon except maybe another M3 Grease gun :)

Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 am

I'll have to look for it, There was also a Bird dog equipped with a single M60.......

Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am

I think the M-60s were typically mounted on an underwing pylon.

Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
airnutz wrote:

Unless you're really low (and vulnerable) your impact area would be huge.Even at twice effective range at 200m you'd be a sitting duck for any automatic weapon except maybe another M3 Grease gun :)

Oh, no doubt about that. An AK(s) would chop up a Bird Dog pretty good. You'd have to be some kinda nut nut to mount a pair of M3's as an offensive weapon. He had to be a few kernels of corn short of a whole turd. :shock: Hopefully he'd start squirting those things just long enough to get Charlie to duck(more from shock than fear) while he saw what he wanted to see and bug out. Squirt and run...do not repeat. :lol:

Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Would a single 50 cal be too heavy? Seems like if they did a couple grease guns,then a 50 would be a natural choice...

Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

That is some serious "Little Rascals" engineering!
Post a reply