Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: XP-82 Twin Mustang May 2018 UPDATE and walk-around Video

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Literally about 8 days until Oshkosh. Unless if they got it in the air tomorrow and brought it toward the end of the week to Oshkosh. Might not make it for opening day Monday, but maybe it could come in for Friday/Saturday

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:00 pm

I'd love to see it at Oshkosh, but I'd much rather they take their time and be safe. Never really expected them to make it this year.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 am

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

From an individual who visited the project over the weekend, they are still waiting for paperwork to come back from the FAA to allow them to start flight testing. The paperwork is expected possibly this week, but they will still have to put 25 hours of flight time on it (according to the source) before they can bring it anywhere.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am

Has the test pilot been revealed yet? Steve Hinton, Stu Dawson, or ?

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

JohnTerrell wrote:From an individual who visited the project over the weekend, they are still waiting for paperwork to come back from the FAA to allow them to start flight testing. The paperwork is expected possibly this week, but they will still have to put 25 hours of flight time on it (according to the source) before they can bring it anywhere.

Cant fly without an A/W cert.... So it wins grand champion next year instead of this year......

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Sasnak wrote:Tom has acknowledged that the XP-82 will not be able to attend Oshkosh this year.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... airventure

And that's the right call.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm

mazdaP5 wrote:
Sasnak wrote:Tom has acknowledged that the XP-82 will not be able to attend Oshkosh this year.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... airventure

And that's the right call.

Agreed!

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Disappointing but totally understood! Bravo Tom and team for all your hard work returning this machine to the sky.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I got the jest from a few folks that visited the project over the last week that the aircraft is done and ready to fly, but there just wasn't going to be enough time to cram in all of the test flight hours required before it could be flown to Oshkosh, having been waiting on the paperwork to allow them to begin flying it. More than anything, over the last few days now I've been eagerly anticipating that first photo or video that shows up in my Facebook feed of the aircraft making its first flight, and I'd imagine that will still be happening any day now. Wouldn't it be doubly amazing now if two flying Twin Mustangs make their Oshkosh debuts next year.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 am

JohnTerrell wrote:Wouldn't it be doubly amazing now if two flying Twin Mustangs make their Oshkosh debuts next year.

Nice thought, but don’t get your hopes up. When I spoke to Pat Harker about his F-82 earlier this year, he told me that first flight was “several years out still”. I got the impression that it was not a priority as they have several other aircraft that are keeping them busy.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 am

After 10 years of perseverance and more than 200,000 man-hours of work

That is 100 years for a single person at 40hrs a week!!!!! I think we can wait until next year for the grand champion prize!!!!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm

OD/NG wrote:
JohnTerrell wrote:Wouldn't it be doubly amazing now if two flying Twin Mustangs make their Oshkosh debuts next year.

Nice thought, but don’t get your hopes up. When I spoke to Pat Harker about his F-82 earlier this year, he told me that first flight was “several years out still”. I got the impression that it was not a priority as they have several other aircraft that are keeping them busy.

The idea that you could have a Twin Mustang that close to flight and it NOT be a priority is mind blowing to me. I guess when you have the means to have such things it may affect your priorities.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:46 pm

C VEICH wrote:
OD/NG wrote:

The idea that you could have a Twin Mustang that close to flight and it NOT be a priority is mind blowing to me. I guess when you have the means to have such things it may affect your priorities.

Keep in mind that Pat Harker loves all airplanes, not just warbirds. I’m not mistaken, I believe he flies everything from antiques to biz jets. Just be glad that we have a person with incredible resources such as him to promote aviation for all of us!

By the way, he’s really down to earth and loves talking about aviation.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:07 pm

OD/NG wrote:Just be glad that we have a person with incredible resources such as him to promote aviation for all of us! By the way, he’s really down to earth and loves talking about aviation.

Just to be clear, I meant nothing derogatory by my post. Rather only that I do not have the means to afford such things and thus may not fully understand the nuances involved.
Post a reply