Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Texas Flying Legends
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The P-47 project at AirCorps Aviation is now listed as being for the "Dakota Territory Air Museum", rather than the "Texas Flying Legends". The Dakota Territory Air Museum has long had a partnership with the Texas Flying Legends and much of the TFL fleet spends a good amount of time each year at the Minot, ND museum (for display and maintenance/annuals). As I mentioned in another thread here, it would seem more like a change/switch-over in title rather than being "sold", under the management/care of the same individuals that have been involved all along.

As I also mentioned in the other thread, a great many of the Texas Flying Legends warbirds are at the Dakota Territory Air Musuem right now, and have been active in recent weeks. The P-51C, P-51D's, P-40E, Corsair, Spitfire, Wildcat, Harvard, C-53 and B-25 are all currently located at the Dakota Territory Air Musuem - I know of at least the P-51C, P-40, Corsair, Spitfire and P-51D's all being active/flying in Minot within the last month - the P-40 and P-51D "Little Horse" flew on July 4th.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:10 pm 

To clear up any confusion and correct a few statements falling under this topic, Texas Flying Legends Museum (TFLM) and the Dakota Territory Air Museum (DTAM ) have been sister museums since TFLM was established in 2010 - DTAM was established in 1987. Both museums have shared in the operation and display of the TFLM collection for eight years. Both museums have also shared two major donors, one of which has decided to step back from the warbird industry to contribute to another foundation. The TFLM hangar at Ellington Field in Houston has been sold as well as the P-40K and TBM Avenger. The Zero, Corsair and B-25 from their collection are also for sale.

The remainder of the collection, nine airworthy aircraft, will continue to be maintained, operated and displayed by DTAM in Minot, ND. These planes include a Normandy invasion veteran Spitfire Mk IX, P40E, FM-2 Wildcat, C-47/C-53 Skytrooper “Duchess of Dakota”, Harvard Mk IV, P-51C “Lope’s Hope 3rd”, P-51D “Little Horse”, Iwo Jima veteran Stinson L-5 Sentinel and an F8F Bearcat recently emerging from restoration by Ezell Aviation in Breckinridge, TX. http://www.ezellaviation.com

The museums have had a commitment to not only campaigning flying warbirds but also to bringing them back to life. To this end, they have a long standing, close working relationship with our AirCorps Aviation, https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/ based in Bemidji, MN. AirCorps has completed two award-winning projects for DTAM so far – the Harvard and the P-51C “Lope’s Hope 3rd”.

DTAM currently has two other projects in progress with AirCorps, a P-47D Razorback and a P-38 both Pacific theater veterans. They also have a Hurricane being finished up next year by Ray Middleton in Fort Collins, CO and a P-51D Mustang expected to come out of restoration next year restored by Casey Odegaard in Kindred, ND.

For eight years now these owners, pilots, and crew have given us the gift of displaying these aircraft throughout the U.S.. They have tirelessly moved aircraft and engaged enthusiasts, honored veterans from all service branches, flown for President George H.W. Bush and the Air Force Academy. Most importantly they have honored our prior generations while inspiring future generations.

DTAM will be updating its website later this winter so you can come back and check the site for more information at that time. http://www.dakotaterritoryairmuseum.com/ Thanks for your continued interest.

Eric Trueblood - AirCorps Aviation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm 

Thanks Eric, we really appreciate your helpful input and info on this - it is greatly appreciated! As is the case anywhere there is an information void and there is silence or no information from the principles involved, the gaps are often filled in with rumor, speculation and half-truths. Thanks for setting the record straight!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the update Eric.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 am 

Thanks for the clarification Eric, and keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

I wish both TFL and DTAM the best of luck and good fortune in the future. And I especially thank them for bringing their great warbirds to race at Reno, which I thought was one of the coolest "contribution" type things anyone has done to help keep Reno alive and interesting. For that alone these folks are golden in my book and I hope they weather this situation well and come up aces.

-Tom :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm still mad I missed Reno last year.... :evil:

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 pm 

Me too! When I saw the variety of birds in the heats because of TFL, I was sad I couldn't have been there to see that in person!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=66316

Less than a month away and only crickets... :P

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:19 pm 

Sweet update! Dakota is gonna have a sweet collection... I hope they get their wings stretched as much as they did under TFL. Is Dakota Kid staying with them? Are the 3 for sale going up on any public for sale sites?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:51 pm 

Is the TFL FG-1D the one that Frank Arrufat spent many years on? Too bad it can't find a home back in west Texas.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yes it is the same one that Frank Arrufat and then John O'Connor had. Although the Corsair is for sale, it is hangared with the rest of the fleet and has flown as recently as June at Minot.