Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am 

http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum ... group.html

More markings to be added.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:53 am 

seabee1526 wrote:
http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/yankee-air-museums-c-47-honors-the-1st-air-commando-group.html

More markings to be added.

I love this look! It honours the memory of WWII, fits better with the other two main aircraft in the collection, but is unique enough to stand out in the crowd.

There is a definite lack of warbirds painted in the markings from the CBI. Some P-40's, the odd spitfire and Barbie, and that is about it. It will tell an interesting, and little known, story of WWII.

Sean

Last edited by martin_sam_2000 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think the new paint scheme looks great, but I'm still sad to see the old scheme go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
There is a definite lack of warbirds painted in the markings from the CBI. Some P-40's, the odd spitfire and Barbie, and that is about it.

The Planes of Fame Air Museum's P-51A "Mrs. Virginia" has the markings of the 1st Air Commando Group, based in the CBI (with the diagonal stripes like "Barbie III" and Yankee's C-47), and the Texas Flying Legend's P-51C "Lope's Hope 3rd" has the markings of the 75th FS, 23rd FG based in the CBI - "Lope's Hope 3rd" being the most uniquely complete/accurate to the CBI warbird of any around, with all of the original unique CBI-specific radios/antennas and associated hardware installed and functional.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I had an Uncle who flew transports over the Hump in the CBI, and was awarded a DFC for it (sadly, he died in a plane crash in the early 50s, so I never got to meet him). His 'theater' knife is on display at the AMC museum in Dover: https://amcmuseum.org/collections/knife/
I'm very happy to see any CBI-themed paint job on a transport!

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 am 

That should save a bit in polishing maintenance as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree that I think the new paint scheme looks great, but I'm still sad to see the old scheme go. So, if the YAM is now getting away from shiny warbirds, will we see Yankee Warrior now repainted to her original combat scheme from WWII?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
I agree that I think the new paint scheme looks great, but I'm still sad to see the old scheme go. So, if the YAM is now getting away from shiny warbirds, will we see Yankee Warrior now repainted to her original combat scheme from WWII?

I would not have any objections, as to when or what is decided of the museum's B-25 livery theme, the original service livery or the current theme.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:

Yankee Warrior is a “D” which would have put her in the OD over grey, however, from what I understand she was originally going to go to the British...would British camouflage have been applied at the factory? I’ve seen one picture of what I believe to be YAMs B-25 and I can’t really tell how it’s painted. The lighting and quality is poor. Ellen E and Son was the name? Nose art looked like some sort of demented clown lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:26 am 

seabee1526 wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:

Yankee Warrior is a “D” which would have put her in the OD over grey, however, from what I understand she was originally going to go to the British...would British camouflage have been applied at the factory? I’ve seen one picture of what I believe to be YAMs B-25 and I can’t really tell how it’s painted. The lighting and quality is poor. Ellen E and Son was the name? Nose art looked like some sort of demented clown lol.

This would make for an interesting paint scheme.

From what I remember, later models from this unit had Green uppers and Aluminium under, can't tell what this one wears. Looks gray to me.

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 am 

Earth Brown No 5? Sorry, the aircraft looks pretty good, but claims that that is an authentic color scheme are pretty far off the mark...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 am 

Dana M Bell wrote:
Earth Brown No 5? Sorry, the aircraft looks pretty good, but claims that that is an authentic color scheme are pretty far off the mark...

you mean that the picture above may not be YAM's B-25, or the colour's we are talking about may not be accurate?

not too sure what you reference with "claims that that is an authentic color scheme are pretty far off the mark"

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am 

Hi Sean,

What I meant was that the restoration looks very nice, but that it doesn't accurately depict a camouflage scheme applied to the C-47 in World War 2. The aircraft were painted Dark Olive Drab at the factory, with the paint supplied by several manufacturers. Since the tail planes, outer wing panels, and other subassemblies were painted by subcontractors before construction of the final aircraft, these subassemblies rarely resembled the main fuselage.

As the paint weathered, portions of the fuselage and inner wing panels often faded to a brown, but the rest of the aircraft didn't. Earth Brown No 5 confuses me - the Corps of Engineers used Earth Brown No 7 and Earth Red No 5, but neither color was applied to C-47s. No C-47 was ever painted overall brown on the upper surfaces and sides.

Most of the photos of 1st ACG C-47s show the standard Medium Green disruptive pattern on leading and trailing edges of flying surfaces, but there were always exceptions. Their restoration must have been based on one of the exceptions.

I've been involved with a few restoration projects over the past 45 years, but I'm still amazed how much work goes into these incredible restorations, only to see them painted in poorly researched schemes. Somehow this one bothered me more than most of the others.

Cheers,

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Growing up on air bases in the 50s-60s, I saw a lot of natural C-47 base hacks....so I rather like the old scheme.
In these days where seemingly everything is painted in WWII colors (even when they're not supposed to be :) ) the old scheme stood out.

But I certainly can't complain about anything that honors the men of the CBI theater.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:39 pm 

Dana M Bell wrote:
Hi Sean,

What I meant was that the restoration looks very nice, but that it doesn't accurately depict a camouflage scheme applied to the C-47 in World War 2. The aircraft were painted Dark Olive Drab at the factory, with the paint supplied by several manufacturers. Since the tail planes, outer wing panels, and other subassemblies were painted by subcontractors before construction of the final aircraft, these subassemblies rarely resembled the main fuselage.

As the paint weathered, portions of the fuselage and inner wing panels often faded to a brown, but the rest of the aircraft didn't. Earth Brown No 5 confuses me - the Corps of Engineers used Earth Brown No 7 and Earth Red No 5, but neither color was applied to C-47s. No C-47 was ever painted overall brown on the upper surfaces and sides.

Most of the photos of 1st ACG C-47s show the standard Medium Green disruptive pattern on leading and trailing edges of flying surfaces, but there were always exceptions. Their restoration must have been based on one of the exceptions.

I've been involved with a few restoration projects over the past 45 years, but I'm still amazed how much work goes into these incredible restorations, only to see them painted in poorly researched schemes. Somehow this one bothered me more than most of the others.

Cheers,

Dana

Ahh. Gotcha. Even tho the article says earth brown, the colour looks olive drabby ( that is my new word for the day. Drabby) to me. I do agree it needs the dark green splotches. I love that look on planes. Be interesting to see what aircraft they paint it up as. Plus they mentioned nose art, so they must have a specific aircraft in mind. I am excited to see this at ToM this fall.

Sean