Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Pima A-20G

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Saw a posting on Instagram that the Pima Air & Space Museum has acquired a very nice looking A-20G. Looks to be almost completely restored aside from some additional paint work.

Anyone know where it came from? Former Tallichet bird from Geneso? Project that Gosshawk had for sale?

Edit: I see they've had one all along! http://www.warbirdregistry.org/a20regis ... 21627.html

Re: Pima A-20G

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:26 pm

TAdan wrote:Saw a posting on Instagram that the Pima Air & Space Museum has acquired a very nice looking A-20G. Looks to be almost completely restored aside from some additional paint work.

Anyone know where it came from? Former Tallichet bird from Geneso? Project that Gosshawk had for sale?

Edit: I see they've had one all along! http://www.warbirdregistry.org/a20regis ... 21627.html

This is a different one. It is serial number 43-9436 which has been at Wangaratta, Australia for many years. We acquired it late last year.

James

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Wow, Pima is getting better all the time!

Aside from a growing collection of WWII types, admittedly a weak point for a long time, it now has more UK aircraft than most UK museums.

Of course that didn't stop the complaints on the Key aviation forum when the RAF Museum loaned them a Spitfire that was in storage (and doing no one much good).

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm

jamesintucson wrote:This is a different one. It is serial number 43-9436 which has been at Wangaratta, Australia for many years. We acquired it late last year.

James

So will the other one be sold? Would be cool to see a combat veteran coming on the market here (and maybe back in the air someday!)

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Holy Crap!! "Big Nig"
Attachments
Capt James Folse.jpg

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 pm

On arrival at the museum today.

ImageDouglas A-20G Havoc by James, on Flickr

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:44 am

jamesintucson wrote:
TAdan wrote:Saw a posting on Instagram that the Pima Air & Space Museum has acquired a very nice looking A-20G. Looks to be almost completely restored aside from some additional paint work.

This is a different one. It is serial number 43-9436 which has been at Wangaratta, Australia for many years. We acquired it late last year.

James

Thanks for the details James.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 am

Great & significant news! Congrats James!

Ken

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am

This is great news! I'm gonna be at Pima in about three weeks..of course the A-20 won't be on display yet, but that just gives me an excuse to come back. So what will become of the A-20G that Pima already had?

SN

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am

A shot I took at Wangaratta, Australia, on 28 October 2013.

It was originally in line for a Spitfire trade with the RAF Museum until overtaken by tragic family events.

PeterA

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:39 am

Wasn't this Jerry Yagen's?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Wow! :shock:
That's a real score.
Very significant machine.

Andy

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Remarkable acquisition...kudos, Pima!!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm

The nose art was painted by Bob Dow, who was responsible for most of the "character" paintings. Dow with his mount
Attachments
The BrainRobertDow.jpg

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Sad to see Big Nig which was rescued by the RAAF in PNG leave our shores. The type and it are very significant in Australia and the SW Pacific
Post a reply