Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 am 

I have a nice PBY engine mount, cowling and PW R-1830 Engine Accessory Case Available that would make a great start for a project.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm 

We have a huge inventory of Curtiss Wright engine parts if you have a interest:
Carl Skinner Co. 805-654-1162 http://www.carlskinnerco.com

:spit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:35 pm 

exhaustgases wrote:
Ebay is most always way over priced, too many gold plated items, well at least the owners think so. Museums that are close to scrapping things would be a better bet I would think.

I understand the point of view, but that idea is generally not an accurate one given the conditions that currently exist. When a museum has to scrap an aircraft, it has generally exhausted all opportunities. Very little of a plane once it is sold for scrapping is available for sale, in fact generally none of it. Moreover most of the aircraft that are scheduled for scrapping by the USAF for example (to name the most prolific scrapper of vintage (display) aircraft in the last decade) must be totally destroyed. Not one part can be sold or preserved in any way, by the legal agreement that describes the scrapping. I really don’t think that trying to scoop scrap stuff right before it goes is in your capability as that is generally really expensive. If bored, try moving an F-4. Or a T-33 if you just want an easy weekend job. Moreover, if you want to preserve so,etching, find a museum that has struggles (any of them) and offer to help out or donate. That’s a better course of action.

For a positive example of ebay....look at this. An R-3350. Scrap value on this is probably $2,000. This seller wants it to go to a good home, and he knows that it will cost someone $2,500 to move it if they don’t have a big truck and a crane. It would be cool in your garage, and you can detail it out to make a really nice display. It’s not for me, as I Already have several “good deal” engines. I think it’s important to save something complicated! In any case....it’s a great deal. Try and help him out, buy it, and get in the game.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wright-R-3350- ... .l4275.c10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:37 am 

Scrap value for one R-3350 should be closer to $500 max, us little guys can't get top scrap value for stuff. If its mixed metal even less, the labor to unmix it would be way higher than the scrap value. Those looked very corroded and in not so good of shape. And like you say the cost to load and move would be prohibitive especially at the asking price. And is the reason they are still there. Oh only one now available, and it has a $950. bid. I don't like the bidding game, I most always loose by a buck or so, unless I go super crazy high on it. No thanks. Show me one that could be run with the PRT's on it for 3k with 500 shipping and I'd likely go for it.
The problem with things like this nowadays, unlike back when I was 18 when I was forced to turn down a few great deals for some old WW2 aircraft parts, is it is getting so the value on some of these things is dwindling. The reason only us older guys are interested in it. The younger generations could give a crap, so gone are the days of thinking you will have gold after purchasing a 20k or more Allison or Merlin, as years go by it will be a losing adventure. Yes there may be a very small hand ful into this stuff but give it more time and will even be less.

Edit made to spell something better I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:01 am 

Need a Bristol Centaurus for static display..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm 

Invader26 wrote:
Need a Bristol Centaurus for static display..

How much? Is it complete? Does it have all the internals? Since no pm for a private message everyone else has a bite at it.
What state is it at? And yes if the answers are inline with what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:08 pm 

I have two R-3350’s, in their wooden shipping cradles, one is a -59 and the other is a -23A. I believe neither have been run, based on a quick look inside with a boroscope, but I can’t be positive. Make a realistic offer including shipping, and they are yours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 am 

I sent a pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:00 pm 

Hi Paul, do you still have the book:Cradle of Heroes for sale? I would like to purchase it. My email is mtelow@yahoo.com or cell 860-876-6144 Thanks, Mike

airnutz wrote:
Tulio wrote:
The Brookshire,Internationsl Spaceport Healing Center, Barbecue and Transportation Hub is selling a Fairchild PT-19 project with lots of odds and ends -a lot of odds, some ends- enough to get you on your way to begin a restoration.

Saludos,

Tulio
Museum curator, janitor, supervisor and Reserves poobah

...And if if you take on that project, I have a very nice copy of Sherman Fairchild's PT-19, "Cradle of Heroes" by H.L. Puckett for sale... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sea2jet wrote:
Hi Paul, do you still have the book:Cradle of Heroes for sale? I would like to purchase it. My email is mtelow@yahoo.com or cell 860-876-6144 Thanks, Mike

airnutz wrote:
Tulio wrote:
The Brookshire,Internationsl Spaceport Healing Center, Barbecue and Transportation Hub is selling a Fairchild PT-19 project with lots of odds and ends -a lot of odds, some ends- enough to get you on your way to begin a restoration.

Saludos,

Tulio
Museum curator, janitor, supervisor and Reserves poobah

...And if if you take on that project, I have a very nice copy of Sherman Fairchild's PT-19, "Cradle of Heroes" by H.L. Puckett for sale... :wink:

Mike, we had a few museum associates back then make quite a few purchases. I'll check with my brother to see if we still have that book. I have your contact info and will let you know soon. Thanks. James, not Paul.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:24 pm 

Thanks James, much appreciated. Mike