Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Kawasaki P-2J Neptune...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I learn something new everyday, I never knew there was a production Neptune variant with turboprops.

wikipedia wrote:
In Japan, the Neptune was license-built from 1966 by Kawasaki as the P-2J, with the piston engines replaced by IHI-built T64 turboprops. Kawasaki continued their manufacture much later than Lockheed did; the P-2J remained in service until 1984.

I'm surprised these aren't used in fire fighting.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 am 

I like it when development continues under the licensee's hands. The F-104 also comes to mind. Off-subject but i've wondered why the USA doesn't buy a few of those ShinMaywa US-2's from Japan. Or make them under license. They seem very useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The turbine Neptunes are really old news....they were retired years ago in favor of Orions.
I always thought they'd be good fire bombers since they're already turbine and are comparatively young compared to the last USN models.

No need to make US2s here, the few that someone would want in the US would hardly justify a license agreement. IIRC, they (or their ASW variants) were very expensive, due in part to small production runs spread out over a number of years. Again, they might be good fire bombers....

And since you brought up Mitsubishi F-104s, here's the ultimate bit of Japanese aviation license history....the MU-2 turboprop uses gear based on the F-104.

And about little known Japanese mods of U.S. designs, don't forget the T-34 military liaison variant with a boxy 4-seat cabin added. FLYING magazine called it "...a roundabout way to make an ugly Bonanza."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Kawasaki version was perhaps the most elegant Neptune, but I was a bit surprised after a quick wiki review that the T-64's has less power than the radial 3350's.

Wiki lists the 3350's as having between 3200-3700 max HP depending on the version, while the T-64 turboprop is listed at 2,800HP.

Auxiliary jets were about the same thrust between the US and Japanese versions.

So the Neptune was never overpowered, so imagine the Japanese version needed the jets for takeoff even more at max weights. Likely more efficient at cruise (with jets off) however. I once spoke with a old Neptune pilot who reported a main engine loss was a very serious issue, especially when heavy obviously, implying it was a handfull/bootfull.

I wonder if the T-56 with @4,500HP from a C-130 could have been fitted to a Neptune? I recall reading years ago that one of the Neptune firebomber users dreamed of making the ultimate firebomber by putting a big pair of turboprops on a Neptune.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm 

Arnold Kolb, the owner of Blackhills Aviation, told me in 1980 that he was trying to buy the Kawasaki P-2’s to covert into air tankers, but thought that there would be too many logistical issues. Blackhills morphed into Neptune Aviation after Arnold sold out.

There were also rumors at the time that various P-2 tanker operators were going to make their own P-2 turboprop conversions and get STCs for them. Besides Blackhills, I believe that Aero Union had some plans for a conversion at one time.

The Hawkins & Powers conversion plan is mentioned in our friend’s link below. Of course, H & P no longer exists, nor does Aero Union.

Anyway, here’s the link:

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/greybull-rp-may03.htm