Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Lysander replica finds new home

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

The Westland Lysander built by GateGuardsUK for the film 'Allied' has now found a new home at the Tangmere Aircraft Museum in Sussex.

http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/news/ ... ft-arrives

ImageTangmere_5 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

ImageTangmere_6 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

www.gateguardsuk.com

Re: Lysander replica finds new home

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

Sure and it looks real dontcha know. Hey I never knew about the little window way in the back, what's that for? i built the matchbox kit back in '73, totally missed that remote cockpit location! Or maybe a view for the chap in the loo?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

Courier Sportster wrote:Sure and it looks real dontcha know. Hey I never knew about the little window way in the back, what's that for? i built the matchbox kit back in '73, totally missed that remote cockpit location! Or maybe a view for the chap in the loo?
It's made up like a bird that would drop off OSS types in the middle of the night in France, so maybe that's what the window is for?
It appears that those types of birds flew out of that field, so it makes sense they'd want it.
That said, I do wonder how the public feels when they come to a museum and see a 1:1 scale replica of an entire plane, movie prop or not.
I can get a replica of something you'll never get one to fly (as in flying an original ME-262 or Stuka) performing in the air at at airshows, but as a museum exhibit?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm

p51 wrote:
Courier Sportster wrote:Sure and it looks real dontcha know. Hey I never knew about the little window way in the back, what's that for? i built the matchbox kit back in '73, totally missed that remote cockpit location! Or maybe a view for the chap in the loo?
It's made up like a bird that would drop off OSS types in the middle of the night in France, so maybe that's what the window is for?
It appears that those types of birds flew out of that field, so it makes sense they'd want it.
That said, I do wonder how the public feels when they come to a museum and see a 1:1 scale replica of an entire plane, movie prop or not.
I can get a replica of something you'll never get one to fly (as in flying an original ME-262 or Stuka) performing in the air at at airshows, but as a museum exhibit?

Considering the expense for a real example, I'd be willing to get pretty much a replica of any kind of aircraft for our museum (P-47, Zero, 109, Kingfisher, Vindicator, Spitfire, P-40, WWI, etc.) So long as they are labeled as a replica and not tried to be pawned off as the original.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Quick Google Search for "Westland Lysander OSS" found this picture from the IWM collection, clearly showing the window -

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205126889

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:33 pm

yes i see! done some googlin' on my own part in the intervening minutes. one even had a really small oval window, more like porthole. some had none. i guess there is a little jumpseat deal back there. was not aware of that area being cargo-capable, human or otherwise. you learn something new everyday if you're not careful.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm

IIRC the window is for 'looking in' rather than 'looking out' presumably to inspect the adjustable tailplane mechanism without having to open (and closing) any panels.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:29 pm

now that makes sense. it crossed my mind earlier on but was forgotten about as more outlandish theories took grip.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:40 pm

I would guess the window is for quick visual inspection of some critical internal parts or mechanism. I don't think you would want to try and fly it with a human that far aft of the CoG!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 am

p51 wrote:
Courier Sportster wrote:That said, I do wonder how the public feels when they come to a museum and see a 1:1 scale replica of an entire plane, movie prop or not.

The dinosaur bones you see in museums are also replicas of the originals. Regardless of that, they still give a good and tangible impression of the thing, and much better than pictures would.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Great addition. GateGuards UK builds a++ aircraft replica's. How many Lysanders left in the world? Sometimes this is the only way to add one to a collection. And if they are like this one, you can hardly tell it's not real! Dutch military aviation museum also has replicas for some types that do not exist anymore. Absolutely no problem with that. Better then pictures.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Absolutely no problem with that. Better then pictures.

Agree...

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 pm

It was a fairly common practice to put perspex panels on British aeroplanes and gliders of that era.

Made the pre-flight inspection a lot easier without having to remove/replace inspection panels.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Invader26 wrote:
Absolutely no problem with that. Better then pictures.

Agree...

You bet.
It's not like the museum went out and commissioned it, just took advantage of an opportunity to expand their collection.

BTW...a lot of museums have replicas...even the NMUSAF for one (Their P-26 and Martin MB-2) and just about anyplace that has a Wright Flyer.
Other museums have composite airframes made of up mix and match old parts from various airframes as well as new build un-airworthy bits.

And don't get me started, many of the "original" warbirds might as well be replicas given the amount of original "WWII-era touched by Rosie the Riveter" metal in them.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:46 pm

JohnB wrote:BTW...a lot of museums have replicas...

One of my favorites:
The graceful Heinkel He-100 at Planes of Fame (I think it's mostly wood or fiberglass, IIRC?). I wonder if there are any other He-100 replicas around?
Post a reply