Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 am 

DoraNineFan wrote:
There's video. Thirteen on board, all survived and one with burns.

https://www.facebook.com/mattgallagher2 ... =3&theater

Wish people would learn to take videos horizontally.

When I first heard about the crash, my mind immediately flashed back to the Bushmaster that crashed in California some years back due to locked controls.

I also showed the video to my mother, as my grandfather once owned a DC-3 after the war. Almost immediately she noted that there was something amiss, as to her eyes the takeoff roll looked completely out of sync from the get go.

Just glad that eveyone was safe, as there are more DC-3's out there waiting to be restored.

Last edited by JFS61 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 am 

My thoughts go out to those affected by this tragedy. I know at least one of their crew members is a long time member here on WIX. Does anybody know if he is okay?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:50 am 

Locks were left in. Not sure why the pilots did not do a full and free flight control movement check and or abort the take off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 am 

Brenden S wrote:
Locks were left in. Not sure why the pilots did not do a full and free flight control movement check and or abort the take off.

Just curious, how do you know this? From what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be any locks on the tail surfaces in the post-crash photos that have surfaced.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Glad everyone made it out.

Lets keep the speculation civil.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: Bluebonnet Belle crash
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yesterday the CAF Highland Lakes Squadron’s C-47 “Bluebonnet Belle” crashed on take-off for Oshkosh. All 13 on board survived, one was flown San Antonio with what was reported as severe burns. The incident was on video from the beginning of the take-off roll until it came to a stop. It appears to me the CG may have been too far aft as she never got her tail up and broke ground in a three-point attitude. It appeared to stall, dipping the right wing, then rolling left, dragging the wing and making about a 90 degree left before coming to a rest after crossing the taxiway and catching fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... q_CgAiuk7s

Scott WRG Editor: Merged this topic with the main one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:02 am 

Already being discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66750

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

bluehawk15 wrote:
Yesterday the CAF Highland Lakes Squadron’s C-47 “Bluebonnet Belle” crashed on take-off for Oshkosh. All 13 on board survived, one was flown San Antonio with what was reported as severe burns. The incident was on video from the beginning of the take-off roll until it came to a stop. It appears to me the CG may have been too far aft as she never got her tail up and broke ground in a three-point attitude. It appeared to stall, dipping the right wing, then rolling left, dragging the wing and making about a 90 degree left before coming to a rest after crossing the taxiway and catching fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... q_CgAiuk7s

Scott WRG Editor: Merged this topic with the main one

Tail was raised at 0:16 in the video, bounces several times, raises again at 0:18 and then is forcefully lowered at 0:22.

The "takeoff" was a result of them putting in full up elevator and bouncing back on the runway, it was likely not intentional.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

OD/NG wrote:
Brenden S wrote:

Just curious, how do you know this? From what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be any locks on the tail surfaces in the post-crash photos that have surfaced.

Additionally, the video clearly shows the rudder being moved to full right deflection several times prior to the accident as they work to keep centerline.

BTW, the winds at the time were 210@8 gusting to 16, giving about a 20* right crosswind, so the right rudder and the plane being pushed left could be the wind as much as anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That everyone is safe is the main thing. It's sad that the airplane was lost but there's many DC-3's and C-47's out there waiting to be adopted into a home like that. Whatever caused the accident will come out in due time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:20 pm 

Question for DC-3/C-47 types. Does the Gooney have a tail wheel lock or is it steerable? After watching the video with sound, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the engines. Matt Galaghers first comment on the vid seems to coincide with a left swerve as the tail is forced up too soon. It's off the runway at one point as you can see dirt being kicked up. Rudder and elevator movement is apparent but I can't see any aileron defection at all.

Really wild speculation but looks like training a new pilot may be involved?

Glad everyone survived.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dan Jones wrote:
That everyone is safe is the main thing. It's sad that the airplane was lost but there's many DC-3's and C-47's out there waiting to be adopted into a home like that. Whatever caused the accident will come out in due time.

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

dougdrivr wrote:
Question for DC-3/C-47 types. Does the Gooney have a tail wheel lock or is it steerable? After watching the video with sound, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the engines. Matt Galaghers first comment on the vid seems to coincide with a left swerve as the tail is forced up too soon. It's off the runway at one point as you can see dirt being kicked up. Rudder and elevator movement is apparent but I can't see any aileron defection at all.

Really wild speculation but looks like training a new pilot may be involved?

Glad everyone survived.

DC-3 tailwheel is free-swiveling, locks in place for takeoff.

For a normal DC-3 takeoff, you push the nose forward in the takeoff roll to raise the tail and get to V1 as soon as possible. For whatever reason, they never did that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

gladly everyone got out. I echo the statement, there are still many C-47s/Dc-3 sitting out in the weeds or tucked away in a hangar. getting another one I would think wouldn't be that hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 pm 

I think that the person swearing in the video may have seen the aircraft tracking onto the grass which may not be immediately obvious in the video.

Last edited by 54H60 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next