Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:55 pm 

Haunting distress calls reveal clues on Amelia Earhart's final days https://dailym.ai/2OhSf6Y
First time ive heard this

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And another fail at the Daily Mail...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Washington Post also ran the story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Funnily enough, the Flypast Forum predicted a renewed holiday funding programme just last week: but each time the pool of gullible souls gets smaller and so I'd imagine they'll have to start looking somewhere cheaper to 'search'.

Remind me again what this group has recovered so far? In the way of Historic Aircraft I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It shows you how news outlets don't do much investigating, if you go to them with a story they'll run with it.

I can't be bothered to read the stuff about AE, we've heard it all before, but I wonder if they mentioned
-that despite all the radio calls, there was no sign of the aircraft a few days later when the Navy arrived?
-or on a lighter note, that the expert who ID'd the bones based on photos and measurements is the same guy who authenticated the Bigfoot film? If not, why? I'd think that would be at the top of his resume? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story or a nice vacation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:03 am 

It's called "circular reporting". One outlet runs the story, and the others pick it up without any fact checking. And they wonder why people often don't trust the news organizations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:21 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/amelia- ... 50191.html

Quote:
According to the group’s hypothesis, the pilot and her navigator could only call for help when the tide was so low that it wouldn’t flood the plane’s engine, which would mean the distress calls would have occurred in short bursts.

Um... what was the engine running on if they were out of fuel, and how did they remove the water from the engine and restart it after the tide came up each time?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd feel better about this nonsense if TIGHAR could produce a real report from a non-affiliated bona fide expert/A&P/Lockheed saying if that is possible and what conditions would have to occur for it to happen.

I doubt if TG would stand for it since he's been billing himself as a crash investigator/expert for decades. (Even though some at the TIGHAR-skeptic website Aviation Mysteries...say he was just a insurance guy, not an investigator).

After all these years, the group seems to be blind to the simple idea of acknowledging the objective questions non-Cool Aid drinkers have and actually addressing them instead of seemingly ignoring them, arrogantly dismissing or insulting them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:55 pm 

WIXerGreg wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/amelia-earhart-chilling-pleas-help-221150191.html

Quote:
According to the group’s hypothesis, the pilot and her navigator could only call for help when the tide was so low that it wouldn’t flood the plane’s engine, which would mean the distress calls would have occurred in short bursts.

Um... what was the engine running on if they were out of fuel, and how did they remove the water from the engine and restart it after the tide came up each time?

Seriously? It is people like you that give TIGHAR a bad rap.... Logic, accuracy, physics and the truth have no place in that group! If they say it can happen, it can! Everyone else, no matter how correct, are wrong.....

*Little tongue and cheek there...sorry..... I wondered the same thing. By the way, this story was on CNN and even the local news in Denver, CO, as well as Yahoo news and a few others I read..... I worry about the stupidity of some people....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm 

The tidal range in the Gilbert Islands and other in the region is between 1-6ft. I seriously doubt this far fetched motion of let's start an engine to power the radio. If the batteries are flat then that's it. One needs a charged battery to start. Hand propping would not really be an option methinks..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 am 

Was there one of those hand cranked generators onboard? Sort of like the one shown in the "Islands in the sky" movie?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saville wrote:
Was there one of those hand cranked generators onboard? Sort of like the one shown in the "Islands in the sky" movie?

I don't think the "Gibson Girl" hand-cranked units were around then.
Also, I don't think they were SW.
Even if they were available, there's a good chance AE wouldn't have taken one, after all she deleted an antenna to save weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:22 am 

They could have made a battery using coconut shells.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
I don't think the "Gibson Girl" hand-cranked units were around then.

Correct. They came along during WW2. They were actually based on a captured German design.

JohnB wrote:
Also, I don't think they were SW.

They operated on the standard rescue frequency of 500 KHz, which is at the upper end of the Long Wave (LW) region.