Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:04 pm 

Hello WIX,

My name is Kees Beemster Leverenz, I'm a member of a dive team from Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) that just completed a 3D model of PBM Mariner BuNo 59172. This is one of two (largely) intact PBM Mariners that still exist in the world. The restored example is on display in the Pima Air Museum. Our PBM wreck was damaged during a recovery attempt, and the tail was ripped off. The tail is also on display at the Pima Air Museum. I found this site while doing some research, and I thought you might be interested in some of the results of our project.

We collaborated with Megan Lickliter-Mundon, a Nautical Archeology PhD, to put together a 3D model of the airplane. The model is now displayed in the Pima Air Museum alongside its tail section and their restored PBM Mariner.

I hope this is appropriate for your board, and you find it interesting. Please note that we reduced the size and clarity of our model significantly in order to display it online. If you are interested in seeing the original model for some use, please let me know at Kees@GUE.com!

The downscaled 3D image, viewable online: https://skfb.ly/6AoOr

An image of the installation at Pima Air Museum: https://i.imgur.com/CsRFGaj.jpg

A high-resolution orthographic view of the model of the wreck: https://i.imgur.com/kQDxJUe.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Greetings, Kees...and welcome to WIX.

Neat work you and GUE have done. Thanks for taking the time to post and link here.

FYI: You may wish to update your comment concerning BuNo 59172 being "one of two" mostly-intact PBM's.

Although I don't have a BuNo for you, I think you'll have to agree that this Mariner--located in the waters off Kosrae--is at least close to being as intact as 59172 (AFAIK the US Navy hasn't even pulled the empennage off...yet :wink: ).

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/kosrae-scuba-diving

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:37 pm 

Quote:
FYI: You may wish to update your comment concerning BuNo 59172 being "one of two" mostly-intact PBM's.

Although I don't have a BuNo for you, I think you'll have to agree that this Mariner--located in the waters off Kosrae--is at least close to being as intact as 59172 (AFAIK the US Navy hasn't even pulled the empennage off...yet :wink: ).

Definitely! That is awesome, and that's the first time someone's pointed that one out to me. Thanks for the info! Leave it to the internet to disprove any fact you post in about 20 minutes :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:15 pm 

I was at the Pima Air and Space Museum yesterday, July 26 ( man was it hot in Tucson AZ ) and spent some time looking at the PBM.
The PBM Mariner display is truly an impressive sight. Its actual size is astonishing.
The museum has part of the tail section raised from Lake Washington and the related story.
Pima is a great facility, wonderful staff, displays and aircraft.
I spent 4 hours yesterday and didn't see it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Real interesting stuff Kees.
Thanks for posting.
Welcome

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

Incredible.

The PBM is one of my all-time favorites. Never gets the credit she deserves.

In a perfect world, Pensacola would have a dedicated flying boat hangar, complete with a Mariner, Marlin, and Mars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TheBigBadGman wrote:
Incredible.

The PBM is one of my all-time favorites. Never gets the credit she deserves.

In a perfect world, Pensacola would have a dedicated flying boat hangar, complete with a Mariner, Marlin, and Mars.

Agree, and of course with the Coronodo and PBY as well (and a totally PERFECT world a SeaMaster and a Clipper, but a bit unfair to count those). Kinda surprised the Mariner is still in Pima, but then again the Marlin as another sole survivor sat on the open ramp at Pensacola for decades (don't get me started on the Savage) , the Coronado sat for years also incomplete and it did not even seem they really wanted it, and plans to ferry the Mars to Pensacola have been very quiet of late- It does seem money for hangers for the larger aircraft has been an issue. Any update on the Mars? She has the paint job and had some engine work I believe. I worry as time moves on the opportunity for a one time ferry flight diminishes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Mariner at Pima is a PBM-5A amphibian, one of the last 28 Mariners built. All the rest were boats and so this one example doesn't really represent the vast majority of Mariners flown from 1940 to 1958. It's most important use was during WW II and the Lake Washington example represents that time period. It needs to be raised properly, plus all the scattered parts lying around on the bottom. Much has been done with far less in Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 am 

MarineAir, I agree entirely. Problem is, that would be a massive project. It would be difficult to raise interest in such a restoration, especially from the Navy, as they’ve never been enthusiastic about the preservation of large aircraft.

Still, to see a PBM with turrets and all would be a treat. I remember a story in Naval Foundation about one that picked up a missing pilot from the Yorktown in the middle of the night. Incredible stuff. A real workhorse lost in the shadow of the PBY.

-G