Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Any DC-7C survivors?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 am 

Their is this DC-7C at New Symrna Beach Airport It was to be a Restaurant.It was taken apart at OpaLocka and trucked to it's current location.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:36 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm seeing a minus sign in a circle. Can you please reload or provide a link to the photo?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 pm 

Try this link for the New Smyrna Beach DC-7. I just found it in a Google Search and it appears to be the airplane in question.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... 061129/DN/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 pm 

Larry Kraus wrote:
Try this link for the New Smyrna Beach DC-7. I just found it in a Google Search and it appears to be the airplane in question.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... 061129/DN/

I watched that shipping wars, they used gas power abrasive cut off saws to cut many of the parts off to make it so it would fit on the truck. Really a messed up way to move an airplane.

So then all that work on that restored DC-7 just to let it again sit and rot, that's horrible. I think insurance companies should have a lottery to see which one would insure it for free and write it off as advertisement. I guess the owners just didn't try hard enough, fuel and all that could be advertisement for some outfit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was just doing a google search on Goodyear and had a look for the DC-7C (N777EA), but found nothing. In fact all airliners stored on the field are gone. As they were mostly modern planes that might mean they're back with their operators, but beckons the question, has the DC-7 become pots and pans? I see the 7 and all the other planes on the western side in street view, which supposedly is from a year ago.

Any WIX'ers who frequent the field and has knowledge of what has happened? Would be too bad if it has suddenly been cut up.

T J

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:57 pm 

T J Johansen wrote:
I was just doing a google search on Goodyear and had a look for the DC-7C (N777EA), but found nothing. In fact all airliners stored on the field are gone. As they were mostly modern planes that might mean they're back with their operators, but beckons the question, has the DC-7 become pots and pans? I see the 7 and all the other planes on the western side in street view, which supposedly is from a year ago.

Any WIX'ers who frequent the field and has knowledge of what has happened? Would be too bad if it has suddenly been cut up.

T J

Interesting. I just looked on google earth and, as of 9-13-2021, there were lots of airliners parked with the DC-7 in the middle pointed NE (Everything else is facing either NW or SE.)

Will

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice to see someone remembered by old post.
Is it too much to ask that some established museum, somewhere, preserve one of these? :)

Not just DCs (jet and prop, and Boeings), but Convairs and Martins....plus on a smaller scale, some of the commuter types that emerged in the '70s-80s. Some are kept around as tramp freighters, but when was the last time you saw a Dash-7, Beech 99A/B, Saab, Shorts or EMB-110/120?

Airliner types are so ubiquitous that we assume they will always be there, then one day they are rare.*
That factor of being taken for granted, p!us the value of some of their components, mean they slip through the cracks and aren't saved.

A few old airliners are preserved, most notably at Pima, but I can't think of an airline configured 707 or even DC-8 in the U.S.
The two surplus VC-137Bs filled the 707 "slot" at Pima and Seattle. Fine, the 137s are historic airframes and should be saved, but they are hardly representative.I

Does the NASM have a complete Connie or DC-4,6, or 7 on display?
There are a few fire fighters out there (at Pima and Madras).
All the Stratocruisers are gone, most surviving Connies are military versions.

Even the few surviving SE airliners aren't well represented...The sole surviving Lockheed Orion is in Switzerland, the Northrop is still languishing in Kansas, the Hamilton is in a small museum (where at least if flies), likewise, the sole flying Boeing 40.

*We also see this with general aviation types and lesser warbirds...Beech 18s, C-46s, Lockheed PVs and various trainers.

I realize what I'm suggesting, airliners take up a lot of hangar space, if left outsude, they are difficult to maintain (look at the Airliner collection at Duxford), and the public doesn't think of them as interesting. Even "airplane guys" would rather see warbirds, even though most types aren't as rare as surviving airliners.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:50 am 

We should be happy that Everts still uses DC-6's for cargo. "No more Stratocruisers" at least there are still some C-97's around.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

NASM has a military C-121 on display at Udvar-Hazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm 

A few months ago I saw a Short 330 (or 360) on approach to Davis-Monthan... perhaps a US military version (?) going to the boneyard. Or perhaps it will wind up at Pima- who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:

NASM also has the forward fuselage of a DC-7, but I cannot determine the flavor. By the way, that aircraft has registration N334AA; by coincidence, that is the same number for the Boeing 767 that flew into the North Tower on 9-11.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 pm 
KiwiZac

JohnB wrote:
Nice to see someone remembered by old post.
Is it too much to ask that some established museum, somewhere, preserve one of these? :)

Not just DCs (jet and prop, and Boeings), but Convairs and Martins....plus on a smaller scale, some of the commuter types that emerged in the '70s-80s. Some are kept around as tramp freighters, but when was the last time you saw a [...] EMB-110/120?

:D https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/2943 ... nte-zk-eru, https://www.facebook.com/bringourbirdsh ... 5969340870

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sad to see it dismantled.
A long time ago when I was fresh out of college, I worked for the regional airline that operated the first 110s in North America...so I have a bit of a soft spot for ine. It would be fun to have a identifiable part of one.
I ought to contact a salvage yard here and see what, if anything, they have.

While hardly a historic type, one should be preserved...if for no other reason than to mark Embraer's entrance to North America. Now with their Niger jets, they are a big player in the airline world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:46 am 

old iron wrote:
Quote:

NASM also has the forward fuselage of a DC-7, but I cannot determine the flavor. By the way, that aircraft has registration N334AA; by coincidence, that is the same number for the Boeing 767 that flew into the North Tower on 9-11.

Seems to have been a "straight" DC-7 built for American and scrapped when they withdrew it from service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:37 pm 

https://news.delta.com/one-final-homeco ... nta-return