Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vultee Vengeance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm 

Regarding the lack of feedback, I wouldn't worry about the lack of responses, there has been over 3300 views.

I've been reading WIX for a long time (well before I registered) but only occasionally post as I usually have nothing to contribute except questions.
My impression is that topics not US focused generate less interest and response.
Perth/Kalgoorlie are a long way from the US and even from the south pacific combat zones.

The Vengeance is a US plane but the RAAF and RAF were the ones who used them in combat and used them in a role that had become unfashionable and didn't last long. So the plane is seen as an odd failure and consequently of less interest.

There have also been some past discussions centred on Australian discoveries and activities that have been less then harmonious and this may discourage participation, particularly when ownership issues are involved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 am 

Och well, at least its out there, providing information to the people who count, the enthusiasts of past history. So its back to looking for other bits of knowledge, maybe our MK22 Spitfire. As they say, what goes around, comes around and the one I like, Karma. Again thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 am 
KiwiZac

I'm just surprised there's a Richard Greinert in the Aussie warbird scene as well as Robert "Jungle Bob" Greinert!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post up the story and pictures I enjoyed this thread immensely. Always thought the Vengeance was an interesting aircraft. :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for posting. I like Vultee and Consolidated products. If anybody needs it, I have a Vengeance hydraulic tank, good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm 

Dade,,

Thank you for your thorough account of what bits came from where. Several years ago I was lucky enough to get a tour of the setup at Wangaratta . I mentioned the Vengeance sections lying outside the hangar and Murray said it was his ambition to restore one to fly; he was keen to give it a go but needed a sponsor with a big bank balance....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:51 pm 

Thank you for your replies. I had what Billy Connolly once said '' Life is like an ash tray, full of little doubts ''

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:47 pm 

DADE
By our Mk22 do you mean PK481 at Bullcreek?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:54 pm 

Hi and yes Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:28 am 

DADE,
Nice history and write up and thanks for sharing. I am sure you could knock up a great article for Classic Wings or Flightpath.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 am 

I have tried Brenden S, and waited about 10 to 11 months and nobody published it in their magazines. So you get the 100% facts free.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dade: Lots of interesting info. I'm into the odd aircraft. Wish that there were more of the Venge's around and someone would put at least one back in the air. If I didn't have my Fairchild project, the Venge would be a good candidate for building. Hope you don't ever get tired of posting data, stories and photos, I know many of us are quite appreciative of it all, even when we are lax about showing it. :supz:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:12 pm 

DADE wrote:
I have tried Brenden S, and waited about 10 to 11 months and nobody published it in their magazines. So you get the 100% facts free.

Thank you for the detailed history..
One thing Ive found is never let the truth get in the way of a good story..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cvairwerks wrote:
Dade: Lots of interesting info. I'm into the odd aircraft. Wish that there were more of the Venge's around and someone would put at least one back in the air. If I didn't have my Fairchild project, the Venge would be a good candidate for building. Hope you don't ever get tired of posting data, stories and photos, I know many of us are quite appreciative of it all, even when we are lax about showing it. :supz:

DADE,

Although Craig and I have never shared beers (yet!), we identify as kindred spirits since we have a mutual attraction for the one-off's...the also-ran's...the oddballs (The difference is that he has a heck-of-a-lot more original bits with his project than I have with mine!).

I, also, could not possibly agree more with him concerning the info you posted on the Vengeance. Please do not let a perceived lack of response on this board prevent you from posting even more about the people you've met who worked "under the radar" at searching, scrounging, and saving what is now a goldmine of classic aircraft survivors.

As for the Vengeance, I've been convinced for a long time that her wing design is among the sexiest--if not THE sexiest--in aviation engineering history!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:45 am 

Hi Spitty.
You wrote. One thing Ive found is never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The aircraft magazines are run as a commercial business and contents sometimes end up being last depending on what is said. It is their right to not publish, but who knows in the future the story may get published, but you cannot wait forever. My non fictional story was always going to be controversial to magazines due to the question of ownership issues.

Over a year ago two envelopes of photocopies of original letters and documents were sent to Wangaratta and Albion Park but no replies by the people they were sent to happened. These are the facts.

One thing I have found that you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next