Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: 2018 Reno Air Races completed (top racers missing?) ...

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Stihl is the main sponsor of the event, though how much money that involves I do not know. The newish CEO of the event is a long time corporate CEO, and owns a gorgeous T-6 and a better P-51 -- both of which competed in the Races this year. He also is personally a "Platinum donor" to the event. So he is an experienced corporate leader and puts own money where his mouth and his airplanes are. Whether that leadership can sustain an event where the cash flow may not be sufficient for future needs, who knows. But solid leadership there is. Fred is a good guy, and has been racing as well as running the T-6 Racing division for years before taking over the top spot. My sense is that he's as good as they're going to get. I just hope it's enough.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Being a Kiwi I'm proud that our wee Allison powered Yak got up there with the big boys, even beating a Sea Fury. We never expected to win just being good enough to get into the Gold race. I'm wondering how we would go with a tricked out engine. :drink3:

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 pm

avenger2504 wrote:Being a Kiwi I'm proud that our wee Allison powered Yak got up there with the big boys, even beating a Sea Fury. We never expected to win just being good enough to get into the Gold race. I'm wondering how we would go with a tricked out engine. :drink3:

I know it was not the name of the plane, but I do like the nick name the reno bunch gave it.
Yak-In-A-Box

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:28 am

Yeah quite apt. Also the very Kiwi Buzzy Bee Margarita machine powered by a 2stroke engine for those thirsty crew members.....and passing curious people.
Post a reply