Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Sad news regarding the foremost authority on Pearl Harbor ..

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm

This is regarding David Aiken who is a WIX member. Some here may not know this very sad news. David has spent a great majority of his life in intense study of the December 7th 1941 attack on Pearl harbor from both the American and Japanese sides.

Teresa Albro is stepdaughter of David Aiken,

Teresa states:

" He's in rehab./ nursing home. With terminal brain cancer" ... "...maybe 6 mo. Or less to Live" ... "he had a bad stoke about a month ago, but has been battling cancer for a little over a year. Went through chemo and radiation but the cancer has spread to the rest of he's brain. He's very knowledgeable but sometimes can't speak it , but knows what he wants to say. Right now he's knows everyone, but doctors don't think he will ever recover from this.".

To us "Let's pray for him".

Re: Sad news regarding the foremost authority on Pearl Harbo

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Incredibly sad news Mark, thanks for sharing it with the group. David has always had some really interesting posts on here, with great authority and knowledge over that subject area.

Many prayers for him and his family in a tough time now.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Very sad news! I would definitively say that David IS the world's foremost expert on the Pearl Harbor attack. I've always enjoyed corresponding with him and asking him questions about the attack through his website and other places on the internet.

Nobody will ever fill his shoes as he spent something like the last 50 years studying the attack in excruciating detail.

My thoughts and prayers go out to David and his family. I hope he is not in pain.

Thanks for letting us know Mark, I had no idea David had any health issues.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Oh no!!!! I was corresponding with him about details about Haleiwa. Very sad to hear this. :cry:

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Terrible news.

He has pursued pearl harbor information for as long as I can remember.

Stay strong David!

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:58 am

Yes, very sad news. I doubt many people would argue with Mark's description: "the foremost authority on Pearl Harbor". I certainly won't.

I last heard from David at the end of July, when he was about to have a portacath inserted in his chest, with chemotherapy to follow immediately after that. He seemed so philosophical about it all but he'd had a horrendous 18 months or so. He said, "Prayers still needed".

Unfortunately his wife Barbara was also unwell and he was (and I'm sure is) deeply concerned for her.

While there's life there's hope I guess but this is very bad.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:36 am

Sad news for sure. :(

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

I really hate to hear this, David is one sharp historian!
Prayers sent that way!
Robbie

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Is he still over in Weatherford?
Post a reply