Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

B17 Pilots Seat - farmyard find

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am

This arrived by post this morning.

It was found in France - Brittany close to St Nazaire/Lorient.

It has been sitting in a farmyard scrap metal pile for many years - there is some corrosion.

However there is a lot of paint left as well as what is possibly an A.F. stencil.

There are multiple HT stamps confirming it is US made.

I believe to be a WW2 B17 Pilot/Co Pilot seat that was from a flying fortress lost during a raid on the naval bases nearby.

Can any one confirm its identity ?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Re: B17 Pilots Seat - farmyard find

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:21 am

Yes a pilots seat from a B-17, the earlier radio room seats although looked similar, had a shorter back and were angle back more. Nice find

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:42 am

It would be nice to see it find a home in one of the current B-17 rebuilds...as opposed to gathering dust in someone's collection.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you for the confirmation.

I also would prefer it to go to a restoration.

But even a dusty collection is a better home than a farmyard!

It is corroded - looks like it was sitting upright with water pooling in the seat pan for a decade or so and rotted through at the back bottom edge - but easily recoverable.

Anyone know if there was a difference between pilot/co pilot seat ?

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't believe there is a difference between the pilots and co-pilots seats. On the drawing, it says quantity per airplane is 2. It is also the same seat for E, F and G models. What a great find, I know the Desert Rat was looking for seats, I bet they'd appreciate it if you were looking to move this item.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks - yes it needs to find a proper home!

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 pm

The cockpit seats were Boeing no. 75-3448. They were indeed identical, the pilot and co-pilot difference being in the seat mounts and armor. If she was shot down over St Nazaire, chances are she was an F-model lost in late-42/early-43.

I sent you a private message in regard to the restoration of B-17 Lucky Thirteen, for your consideration.

Hope all is well!

-G

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Desert Rat would be very interested in the seat if available, as we are currently focusing on the cockpit. Thank you.
Post a reply