Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: 2019 Restorations

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm

This example not a warbird (but some were impressed), a Lockheed Electra 10A is planned for Oshkosh (and hopefully Omaka)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12044999

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm

ErrolC wrote:This example not a warbird (but some were impressed), a Lockheed Electra 10A is planned for Oshkosh (and hopefully Omaka)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12044999

Does this mean we have to start the Oshkosh preview thread already? :twisted:

Cool project. The Chilean airline history is something that would be interesting to learn more about. Would also love to hear about more major vintage restorations nearing completion if there are any.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am

old iron wrote:Recent photos on flickr.com show the He-219 fuselage to have been moved back into the Baker restoration facility, presumably for installation of new radar masts (copied from pieces recovered from the recent recovery off Denmark).

I understand that only the landing gear remains after that. Let us hope that the Heinkle can be assembled this coming year.

I would guess, however, that "Flak-Bait" would not be finished in 2019. Most of the current work at NASM is on space items (Surveyer, for example) and the rocket sled that would be used in the new "Speed" exhibit.

The last I heard Flak Bait is 8 to 10 years away from completion.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Smithsonian HE 219 and HO 229?
Midwest aero BF 109G-6?
POF F8F Bearcat and maybe an newly restored PT-17
Collings Foundation's F6F Hellcat?
Fagen Fighters newly acquired F6F Hellcat?
Allied Fighters F6F's?
Lewis's F6F Hellcat??
Maybe 2019 will be the year of the Hellcat!!!

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:39 pm

luft109 wrote:Collings Foundation's F6F Hellcat?
Allied Fighters F6F's?
Lewis's F6F Hellcat??

One can only hope as you can never have too many Hellcats!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am

C VEICH wrote:
luft109 wrote:Collings Foundation's F6F Hellcat?
Allied Fighters F6F's?
Lewis's F6F Hellcat??

One can only hope as you can never have too many Hellcats!

Refresh my memory. Which one does Allied Fighters have and which one does Lewis have? Thanks

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

The one that Lewis has is the same one that used to be owned/operated by The Fighter Collection at Duxford for many years (BuNo.80141). Since arriving back in the US after Lewis purchased it, the aircraft has been undergoing in-depth restoration at Ezell Aviation. This photo, taken in the summer of 2017, helps illustrate the level to which the aircraft was stripped down to for restoration: https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5C572887

The one that is owned by Allied Fighters is the one that used to be owned by Willard Compton (BuNo.08825). It is undergoing restoration at Vintage Airframes (same company that restored "Dottie Mae"). I don't expect that it is close to completion yet.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks for the update. :drink3:

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:02 pm

kalamazookid wrote:I think Fagen Fighters is getting closer on another P-40

I was told that the P-40 is on hold until the Helldiver is done.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 pm

bomberfan wrote:
kalamazookid wrote:I think Fagen Fighters is getting closer on another P-40

I was told that the P-40 is on hold until the Helldiver is done.

Thanks for the update. Clearly, the latest info I heard is out of date. The Helldiver will be awesome when it's complete.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 pm

My mentioning of the Fagen Helldiver restoration having the goal for completion being Oshkosh 2019 comes from this video report early last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMEgvYN6s0

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:00 am

Yesterday, October 22nd, in Saskatchewan, Canada, the freshly restored P-51D owned by Terry Dieno ("Lou IV") made its first test flight, with Doug Rozendaal at the controls.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum should have their Avenger flying in 2019.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am

I visited the CWH last week. The Fairey Firefly is having that crucial wing bolt fabricated at great cost. It had a big crack in the left wing pivot pin. That’s the only thing keeping it from flying again. The Harvard was being worked on after it landed gear up and will fly in 2019.
The we’re working on the TBM “Turkey” and it’s had a ton of work accomplished but to me looks like it will be 2020. The B-25 has a ton of work to go as does the Blenheim. The Fleet Fawn is airworthy but not being flown as it’s original brakes are “grabby” thus making it difficult to fly and it’s underpowered. Maybe one day it can receive disc brakes and be flown more.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:59 pm

One possibility to add is Doug Matthews' F-86F Sabre, which is being restored as Capt. Joseph McConnell's "Beauteous Butch II."
Post a reply