Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Usually not impressed with people who "mess" with original B&W photos and film and very rare is the "colorization" of a B&W photo convincing, but perhaps Jackson has come the closest. IMHO.
Nicely done.

https://www.forces.net/news/remastering ... e-new-film

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The most amazing aspect for me is the technology today that, with merely a setting selection, can create the "missing frames" within the old 14 frame-per-second rate film, increasing it to 24 frames-per-second - that ability for a computer software to process and create images between the actual images, thus making the film as smooth/natural in motion as today's films and no longer choppy. It's interesting too the extent they went to in order to recreate what was being said by the troops based on their mouth movements and recreating the sounds from various other sources within the footage. Really a marvelous piece of work from what has been shown online, and hopefully it is something that will be available streaming or DVD at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is just light years ahead of re-colorized movies! You expect the Jerky Silent Era look, but to see them move so fluidly makes you think it might be a recreation.

Kudos to Peter Jackson and his team for such an amazing breakthrough in film restoration.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:47 am 

I see this is in theaters in the UK now and scheduled to air on BBC One on Veterans' Day.

Hopefully HBO, Netflix, or Amazon, etc., will buy the rights soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Going to see it Monday: supposed to be aired on BBC TV (November I'd guess), so should be available to stream. Those who've seen it already were greatly moved by it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 pm 

Bloody marvelous...

My grandfather and four great uncles fought in WW1 in the Australian Army. Two didn't come back and three badly wounded including my grandfather :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 am 

Overall I think it is very well done. However, some of the subtleties in colors are still not right. This is noticeable of hair color in the clip with the soldiers in front of the brick wall. I applaud Peter Jackson in his desire to bring an almost forgotten history to modern awareness. We are so used to color it is hard to get the full impact from B/W.

I am reminded of a colorization of film done 30 years ago where Frank Sinatra was given brown eyes. He was known as "old blue eyes" for a reason.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So much WW2 footage could be enhanced with this method as well. Hopefully this will happen another time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well it was pretty impressive: 90-odd minutes, totally narrated by those who were there, including two VC recipients. At the end of the show the cinema broke into spontaneous applause and most quietly stayed to watch the closing credits.

I've rarely felt so moved and noted many a damp eye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am 

I took my son to see it on the first day it was released here in the U.K. It was quite expensive to see but it was brilliant and well worth the money. There was also a live question and answer thing with Peter Jackson about it afterwards which added another dimension . If you get the chance , go and see it, you will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am 

I'd almost rather see this technique applied without the colourisation (which still isn't quite there, as amazing as it is), as just the extra frmaes and noise reduction are astonishing.
Now i want to see some Buster Keaton movies cleaned up like this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:35 pm 

I was hoping to watch this at home on HBO or another cable channel, but Warner Brothers has bought the US rights and will have a theatrical release.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/peter-jackson-warner-bros-wwi-documentary-they-shall-not-grow-old-toby-emmerich-carolyn-blackwood-blair-rich-1202491670/