Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Apparently Yak-11 N5940 caught fire after a landing at Allegheny County airport en-route to Oshkosh. The pilot was taken to hospital with burns to his face and upper body.

http://www.wtae.com/news/fire-reported- ... t/40869424

T J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Yak was going to race at Reno this year.

Will

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Was this Yak-11 at the 2005 Corsairs over Connecticut show? I wish the pilot a speedy recovery hopefully.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Saw on the news this morning that the pilot passed away last night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:17 am 

Very tragic. The pilot was an active member of the Yak community for a number of years, and a former S-3B pilot. It will certainly be interesting to hear the cause once the NTSB report is completed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Link is here:

http://triblive.com/mobile/10885929-96/ ... eny-county

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

There are multiple lessons to be learned here unfortunately...

1. Inadequate systems separation/protection (fuel system and electrical power wires)
2. Inadequate isolation of the cockpit from flames or leaking fuel
3. Inadequate pilot protection/clothing

Had any one of these three things been better controlled the pilot would likely still be with us.

The first two are design issues and likely resulted from the conversion to the larger engine. Hopefully other Yak operators are inspecting and modifying their aircraft based upon these findings. A leaking fuel pump should be an expected failure mode (and this aircraft had experienced it more than once before) as should the possibility of arcing anywhere along a power wire. Power wires often chafe through the insulation and arc against other systems and structures. In the presence of leaking fuel you see the potential result.

Experimental aircraft aren't required to be built to the same safety standards as modern aircraft so it is up to the owner/operator to ensure that any risks have been adequately mitigated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 am 

I actually thought about this unfortunate accident this weekend when, at Wings Over Houston, I saw that nearly every guy flying a single engine warbird was wearing a short sleeve shirt and David Clarks. And some were wearing even shorts. I just cannot understand the continued rejection (which seems to be especially prevalent among CAF pilots) of wearing even minimal safety gear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 am 

Lets not bring up opinions on pilots, mechanics, or systems. Hind sight is always 20/20. Pilots should wear proper clothing and understand evacuation procedures. Which honestly a-lot don't really know. When its a 110 degrees on the ramp and as as hot as 140 degrees in the cockpit a pilot has to walk a fine line. Protection with out overheating. Nomex does not breath in anyway shape or form. Ive noticed Unlimited Air Race Pilots wear cool suites or something to try and keep you core body temp down. A lot of Airshow Pilots don't. A man lost his life in a truly horrific way. Lets just leave it alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

luft109 wrote:
Lets just leave it alone.

As long as it's done respectfully, discussion aids in promoting healthy precaution.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When in doubt, do what the military pros do...Nomex.

Awhile back, either here or the Key forum, there was a discussion of pilot clothing, some guys (who came across as Top Gun wannabes) said you should wear a flight suit in any aircraft. While Nomex in a Cub, Bonanza or 172, might be overkill, it makes sense in warbirds, acrobatic or experimental types.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 pm 

I don't know if they are available anymore but the 2 piece nomex we had a long time ago in the Army might work for you guys in your warbirds.If you are not flying you could roll up the sleeves,unzip the shirt, or just take it off.We stayed fairly comfortable in those in the hot climate we were in.Throw in boots and gloves and you are pretty well protected.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:48 pm 

Helmet, suit, gloves and leather shoes/boots in a warbird is the go. Also take off the plastic watch...

...and you're good to go. May not save you but gives you the extra edge...

I've always flown like this...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:31 pm 

Invader26 wrote:
Helmet, suit, gloves and leather shoes/boots in a warbird is the go. Also take off the plastic watch...

...and you're good to go. May not save you but gives you the extra edge...

I've always flown like this...

Lots of constructive posts, if you drive warbirds try to attend a flightsuits safety seminar if you can. Lots of things I'd never thought of, like the metal band wristwatch under your gloves and flight suit will leave you with a club hand. It doesn't stop being hot when you get out of the burning machine and melts the tendons that control your hand.

Even my 1940's designed grumman widgeon had until very recently fuel lines with 15psi and oil lines running though the cockpit to 3in1 gauges. Since replaced with a wire, it's the little things that will get you.

That airplane built in 1946 is now 72 years old, try and keep it safe and boring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

always think about saving your pink body first, flight suits and gloves at least, take a bottle of water with you