Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:59 pm 

Xray wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs

don't get your knickers in a knot, didn't even come close to "bashing". Talk about a reality check, "Thunder" is only produced by jets, not props. And BTW, jets do not have to "perform" to attend a show, just like the 2 F-35's last year. Me speculating about jets at an airshow of all things [GASP !] is no more pointless than you continuously speculating about the XP-82 so if you don't like my posts, don't read or reply to them.

Speculating about the one of a kind XP that’s going to be at OSH a week before is a lot more useful than whining about stuff that 1) is already going to be present 2) will more than likely be announced in a few months because again, common sense, military acts outside of the ACC are difficult to book in advance. Maybe they should just cancel it since you won’t be satisfied. Might not hurt to understand hat Thunder is just the name of the show... not a promise that there’s gonna be the whole country’s Air Force in attendance. From the start the organizers have always focused on Thunder being the premier warbird airshow in the country, it’s never been about fighter jets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Xray wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs

don't get your knickers in a knot, didn't even come close to "bashing". Talk about a reality check, "Thunder" is only produced by jets, not props. And BTW, jets do not have to "perform" to attend a show, just like the 2 F-35's last year. Me speculating about jets at an airshow of all things [GASP !] is no more pointless than you continuously speculating about the XP-82 so if you don't like my posts, don't read or reply to them.

Speculating about the one of a kind XP that’s going to be at OSH a week before is a lot more useful than whining about stuff that 1) is already going to be present 2) will more than likely be announced in a few months because again, common sense, military acts outside of the ACC are difficult to book in advance. Maybe they should just cancel it since you won’t be satisfied. Might not hurt to understand hat Thunder is just the name of the show... not a promise that there’s gonna be the whole country’s Air Force in attendance. From the start the organizers have always focused on Thunder being the premier warbird airshow in the country, it’s never been about fighter jets

You like to bicker worse than my little girls, shove a sock in it, not interested in your opinion or rants. [Nevermind, I know you'll keep ranting so I just put you on ignore]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm 

Are you kids going to make me pull the car over? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:16 pm 

Sorry garbs I’ll knock it off lol. Sad that this adult with children is whining about not getting to see what he wants at an airshow. Thanks Micheal and crew for what looks like a killer year at Thunder. Counting the days 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:35 pm 

Seen that Vintage Wings of Canada is working on confirming their attendance to the gathering! Hoping to see confirmation here soon for number 12! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:59 pm 

bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I'd say that there is a good chance it will come to Thunder. It is going to Oshkosh. Being that Thunder Over Michigan is having their shows in early August like they used to (thank you) , a week after Oshkosh there is a good chance that we can grab some Air Venture warbirds just like we used to back in the day. The lack of Warbirds in recent shows was due to the late August shows working around the T-birds/Blues schedule when no warbirds were nearby.

I will be attending both Oshkosh and Thunder this year, so I am hoping a lot of the warbirds do the same. Would be nice to get Doc to come to Thunder also as it is attending Oshkosh again.

I know Thunder Over Michigan makes good money on shows when the T-birds and the Blues come because that brings in a lot more people (mostly those that couldn't tell an F-16 from an F-18 and would most likely not know what a Corsair or XP-82 is), I prefer the years that the jet teams aren't here because there is more emphasis on warbirds and makes this show what it started out as (a warbird airshow) rather than just another Cleveland, Dayton etc show with jet teams and aerobatics. Also I like having Eccorse service drive open for arrival day

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 pm 

Good points Boeing, TOM is the only game in town so I'll go no matter what and support with a ticket buy as usual, whether I actually go in or not. I'll be on Ecorse [or the other side depending on which way they are landing] on arrival days as well.
Might work up the gumption to go to Oshkosh also, never been there. If I want to attend more than 1 show per year I am going to have to do some traveling, simple as that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I'd say that there is a good chance it will come to Thunder. It is going to Oshkosh. Being that Thunder Over Michigan is having their shows in early August like they used to (thank you) , a week after Oshkosh there is a good chance that we can grab some Air Venture warbirds just like we used to back in the day. The lack of Warbirds in recent shows was due to the late August shows working around the T-birds/Blues schedule when no warbirds were nearby.

I will be attending both Oshkosh and Thunder this year, so I am hoping a lot of the warbirds do the same. Would be nice to get Doc to come to Thunder also as it is attending Oshkosh again.

I know Thunder Over Michigan makes good money on shows when the T-birds and the Blues come because that brings in a lot more people (mostly those that couldn't tell an F-16 from an F-18 and would most likely not know what a Corsair or XP-82 is), I prefer the years that the jet teams aren't here because there is more emphasis on warbirds and makes this show what it started out as (a warbird airshow) rather than just another Cleveland, Dayton etc show with jet teams and aerobatics. Also I like having Eccorse service drive open for arrival day

Thunder's dates this year are great, back to where they should be. I'm thinking that once Michael finalizes his Corsair list he will start looking at adding some variety, hopefully some of that will be Oshkosh birds. Doc would be awesome! XP-82 of course too.

I do prefer warbird shows without a jet team, Planes of Fame does this very well. A single-ship demo with Heritage Flight complements warbird shows perfectly, in my opinion. There are dozens of shows that focus on military, the warbird-focused shows are the special ones! And I am hoping that Ecorse will be open, I assume the lack of a jet team would hopefully make that happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 pm 

I really miss the B-1, B-2, B-52 Fly-bys. It would be very nice to see those again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:23 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Seen that Vintage Wings of Canada is working on confirming their attendance to the gathering! Hoping to see confirmation here soon for number 12! :D

Was over there today and the Corsair is all opened up going through its inspections. They are definitely trying to get t down there this year!!

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

Was over there today and the Corsair is all opened up going through its inspections. They are definitely trying to get t down there this year!!

Sean

Awesome 8) only seen her in pics, but she's a beauty! Thanks for the report

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm 

seabee1526 wrote:
I really miss the B-1, B-2, B-52 Fly-bys. It would be very nice to see those again.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Oshkosh 2017 had all 3 - came in formation at first then got 3 passes by each after that, last year got 3 B-52 passes, B-1 had a mechanical last year. These bomber pilots need to do cross country training, so if you pull the right strings you should be able to get at least 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm 

Xray wrote:
Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.[/quote]

Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean[/quote]

Yeah saw that, better than nothing. Really not that much in the inventory compared to back in the day. F-22 demo would be great, 15's and 18's would be nice, as would a Harrier demo. Bombers are apparently too much to ask for these days, even a flyby, though some shows [like RIAT] seem to get about everything.[/quote]

This day and age you are lucky to get one demo from the USAF and maybe one from the Navy. Gone are the days where you'd get 2 - 3 different air force jets doing demos. The F-15 hasn't done demos anywhere since before the 2013 sequester, i wish they'd bring it back. I am lucky enough to see the first F-35 Demo in a couple weeks in Melbourne Florida, but that is limited to only a handful of shows. Seems again otherwise every show that I am going to is going to be the F-16 demo - Sun N Fun, Titusville, Oshkosh and Thunder

I am not big on the aerobatic stuff, but I do love the Screaming Sasquatch show. If thunder is going to have an Aerobatic act, they picked one of the best out there. It's better than seeing yet another Extra 300. Another good aerobatic act is that new Twin Yak act that they call the Yak 110. They fused two Yak 55s together like an XP-82 but also stuck a jet engine on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
Xray wrote:
Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.

Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean[/quote]

Yeah saw that, better than nothing. Really not that much in the inventory compared to back in the day. F-22 demo would be great, 15's and 18's would be nice, as would a Harrier demo. Bombers are apparently too much to ask for these days, even a flyby, though some shows [like RIAT] seem to get about everything.[/quote]

This day and age you are lucky to get one demo from the USAF and maybe one from the Navy. Gone are the days where you'd get 2 - 3 different air force jets doing demos. The F-15 hasn't done demos anywhere since before the 2013 sequester, i wish they'd bring it back. I am lucky enough to see the first F-35 Demo in a couple weeks in Melbourne Florida, but that is limited to only a handful of shows. Seems again otherwise every show that I am going to is going to be the F-16 demo - Sun N Fun, Titusville, Oshkosh and Thunder

I am not big on the aerobatic stuff, but I do love the Screaming Sasquatch show. If thunder is going to have an Aerobatic act, they picked one of the best out there. It's better than seeing yet another Extra 300. Another good aerobatic act is that new Twin Yak act that they call the Yak 110. They fused two Yak 55s together like an XP-82 but also stuck a jet engine on it.[/quote]

Most guys here aren't average airshow attendees, myself I go THUR and FRI [sometimes WED if the Blues are arriving/practicing], so an F-15 F-18 coming in would be great for me even if it will be static during the show. I fully realize there are very limited USAF jets cleared to fly shows, sign on the times, and limited budget + deployment commitments are both factors. I can remember not so long ago, B-1's used to fly a great show, flew one in Ypsi a decade back or so with low, screaming passes and climb-outs that was setting off car alarms for miles around. F-14's used to routinely fly shows even though they were part of no formal demo teams, FB-111's too. Those days are gone but its a bit galling to see certain shows pulling in all the good stuff, Oskosh of course but also overseas like RIAT and Farnborough, you'll see just about every aircraft in the US inventory including bombers, U-2's and even drones. Hell I was just watching one recent show on youtube in Australia and they had multiple F-22's and F-18's flying in, among others. But I don't know a whole lot of the dynamics of getting military aircraft like this to attend a show, so I assume TOM would get more if they wanted to and could.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:02 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:

I am not big on the aerobatic stuff, but I do love the Screaming Sasquatch show. If thunder is going to have an Aerobatic act, they picked one of the best out there. It's better than seeing yet another Extra 300. Another good aerobatic act is that new Twin Yak act that they call the Yak 110. They fused two Yak 55s together like an XP-82 but also stuck a jet engine on it.

+1 for not being a fan of aerobatics, will be happy to see Goulian though as it has been awhile. Any more than 1 aerobatic act and it's a no from me... Sasquatch is awesome, Yak 110 is also. It's the specialty aerobatic acts that make the show interesting. There are a good handful of cool "filler" acts that don't use Extra/Edge/MX, but those are few and far between. Sanders Sea Fury Smokewinder demo (any solo warbird act for that matter), Mark Peterson's Alpha Jet, even the Vampire and Ace Maker demos have more flair. The only high-performance aerobatic demo I have thoroughly enjoyed recently is the GameBird. That's an awesome plane!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next