Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:25 pm 

Their 1st caveat is "schedule is subject to change without notice", and it really can't be any other way. It really takes quite a commitment and effort to get these rare, old and valuable machines from point A to point B, props and thanks to those who make the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:23 pm 

So the Heritage Flight schedule lists a Skyraider. Is this just something that was never updated?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:07 am 

PhantomAce08 wrote:
So the Heritage Flight schedule lists a Skyraider. Is this just something that was never updated?

Yes never updated. Currently it’s Moonbeam and Glamorous Glen in the heritage flight. No idea who the pilots will be as neither of them are typical HF birds :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:54 pm 

Already a good collection starting up. Erickson's F4U-7, CAF Dixie Wing's FG-1D, P-51D Old Crow, and P-51D Quicksilver are all on site in Hangar 1. I imagine Gentleman Jim and P-51B Old Crow are in the Roush hangar, and I thought Korean War Hero would be there, but no sign just yet. Wings of the North's F4U-4 did not go there straight from OSH either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:25 pm 

darn, just heard the F-5's dropped out as well

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 am 

Seems light on the WWII warbirds.

We had 15+ or so C-47/DC-3s at Oshkosh, would think a couple could make it across the lake to Thunder. Light on the bombers too, other than the based 2 bombers, just another B-25. Good turnout of Mustangs and Corsairs I hope. At least Friday arrivals will be interesting with all the modern military coming

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 am 

Boeing666 wrote:
Seems light on the WWII warbirds.

We had 15+ or so C-47/DC-3s at Oshkosh, would think a couple could make it across the lake to Thunder. Light on the bombers too, other than the based 2 bombers, just another B-25. Good turnout of Mustangs and Corsairs I hope. At least Friday arrivals will be interesting with all the modern military coming

Some thoughts on this, I don’t think Thunder necessarily WANTS anymore bombers to come. Besides the ramp being pretty much full already it seems like they really wanted to stick to the fighter theme this year and put all their resources (and ALL of their money) to that. Next year being 2020 should be another bomber year though. And either way this year is the most planes that will be on the Thunder ramp so I think it’s great that Thunder went back to its roots!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Having grown up around warbirds, I’d have to say that safety and reliability are the best they have ever been for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:13 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
I think it’s great that Thunder went back to its roots!

It's roots were a Warbird show - because of the hanger fire they needed money and started drifting to better appeal to the general public (I won't begin to fault them there...it was the right move). 10 years ago it was the top Warbird show east of the Mississippi. I hope they draw a large crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:24 pm 

hurricane_yank wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
I think it’s great that Thunder went back to its roots!

It's roots were a Warbird show - because of the hanger fire they needed money and started drifting to better appeal to the general public (I won't begin to fault them there...it was the right move). 10 years ago it was the top Warbird show east of the Mississippi. I hope they draw a large crowd.

I understand where you’re coming from. At the same time the fact that they are having another large “type” gathering, and getting 50% of the airworthy Corsairs together is something no other show has done since Oshkosh ‘94. I think that says something about Thunder this year. And on top if it having a very solid military lineup to boot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The number of fighters/bombers/transports is about what it usually, it's just largely clustered into two types of aircraft this year (Corsairs and P-51s). As long as there's more flying than the last couple years, I'll be happy. Looking forward to Saturday!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:43 pm 

Well, looks like a run of great weather anyhow ,,, I'll likely be on the edge of the runway in a black truck thur and fri and on base SAT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:49 pm 

I am trying to think of Thunder 2020, something special needs to be done for the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. Try to invite just about every flyable WWII type available. Dayton and Oshkosh did that in 1995 for the 50th anniversary. Plus the fact that Thunder typically happens around the end of WWII time anyway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:01 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
I am trying to think of Thunder 2020, something special needs to be done for the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. Try to invite just about every flyable WWII type available. Dayton and Oshkosh did that in 1995 for the 50th anniversary. Plus the fact that Thunder typically happens around the end of WWII time anyway

I imagine Oshkosh will try to do something like this. Unless something changes I don't see Thunder being any larger than it will be this year. Again not to be a naysayer, but the warbird budget is tapped out for this year, another reason I think that the "type" gatherings are good for Thunder. Also 2020 is gonna be the Blues, and I've never put together an airshow, but I'm 99% sure the amenities for the Blues are much more $$$ than the Viper demo...

If I had to pick my 2020 Thunder it would be "Bombertown: The Second Round". I think it could help fit the end of WWII if both Doc and Fifi are there. Add in invites to the 2 B-24's and the PB4Y, a handful of B-17's and B-25's, BUT I think they should highlight the A-26. The Special Kay team seems to really want Thunder to have an A-26 gathering next year from some stray posts I've seen here and there. Maybe add Rod and Yagen's Mossie and make it more of a gathering of attack planes...?

Just my thoughts for Thunder 2020... Gonna try to track down some of the team and slip this idea their way... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:08 pm 

If I remember to pack ponchos will that prevent rain?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next