Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm 

Possibly 7 separate Corsair variants at the TOM show at Ypsilanti, Michigan next August!

Thunder has definitely returned to its roots.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:09 pm 
TOM WALSH wrote:
Possibly 7 separate Corsair variants at the TOM show at Ypsilanti, Michigan next August!

Thunder has definitely returned to its roots.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TOM WALSH wrote:
I'm told this will be the largest gathering of Corsairs since the Korean War. The organizers plan on setting a record and it's good to see they have returned to their roots.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

A big Corsair gathering is admirable. I truly hope the organizers can pull it off.

But how does one define whether an attendance record will be established?

The largest post-Korean-Conflict Corsair gathering I could find on the interweb was in April 1954. USS Saipan delivered 25 war-weary AU-1's to a French airbase at Da Nang for use by 14 Flotilla. I'm not familiar enough with French air operations to know how quickly/dramatically the Da Nang gathering was reduced in number.

You already know that French Corsair operations continued for several years. 17 Flotilla went operational with them in 1959. If carrier operations count as a "gathering", then it seems 16 would be a conservative number.

If the intent is to establish an attendance record for an American fly-in/airshow, for some reason the number 13 stands out in my mind for the VF-17 tribute at Oshkosh back in 1994 (although no one should confuse my memory with gospel truth LOL!).

And as is typical at OSH, rarely do all attending warbirds participate in aerial displays during the week.

The link is about the best youtube I've found of 1994, including Corsair demonstrations. Additional drool was generated that year by C-97, DC-4, Connie, and Kermit's Sunderland. Be warned that you may wish to plan a few nights to view it entirely!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:36 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Any recommended hotels in the area?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great choice of theme! It's nice to see a Navy/USMC type of aircraft featured after a long run of USAF/USAAF types. I think the most Corsairs I've seen in one place is six, which was the TOM show honoring the centennial of Naval Aviation. It would be awesome to have all flyable variants of the Corsair in one place, especially if the Super Corsair is involved.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 am 

Not sure if Mike Potter would be willing to send his Corsair but can't hurt to ask, she hasn't strayed too far from home lately. Can think of one pilot who I am sure would be glad for the chance.

Attachments:
corsair 115.jpg
corsair 115.jpg [ 90.6 KiB | Viewed 1434 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 pm 

Scott WRG Editor wrote:

I am staying in the Holiday Inn Express right down the street just off the main highway in Belleville. I stayed there last year. I used to stay in a Comfort Inn across the highway but they closed, a bit pricy but several minutes away with just about every food chain you can name in the area. Detroit Metro Airport is just a hop and skip away with less expensive hotels. Several other chain hotels also nest door.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

kennsmithf2g wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:

I am staying in the Holiday Inn Express right down the street just off the main highway in Belleville. I stayed there last year. I used to stay in a Comfort Inn across the highway but they closed, a bit pricy but several minutes away with just about every food chain you can name in the area. Detroit Metro Airport is just a hop and skip away with less expensive hotels. Several other chain hotels also nest door.

Thanks. I last went in 2005 and one of the best parts was the lobby hangouts after the show. :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:19 pm 

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
kennsmithf2g wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:

Thanks. I last went in 2005 and one of the best parts was the lobby hangouts after the show. :)

Last year on Friday night, I met a nice retired Sargent Major (He was THE Top Sargent Major of the Marine Corps before he retired) walking in from the parking lot and spent hours talking about his experiences. He had served on the Museum's Warning Star and was there for a reunion and to answer questions about it.

I've been going for the Friday Photo pit also.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm 

Next years show, at Thunder Over Michigan, on August 3 & 4, is being promoted as the largest Corsair gathering in 2019 anywhere. No other air show is theming this aircraft next year. So, if you like the F4U, Ypsilanti, Michigan is the place to be next August.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm 

TOM WALSH wrote:
Next years show, at Thunder Over Michigan, on August 3 & 4, is being promoted as the largest Corsair gathering in 2019 anywhere. No other air show is theming this aircraft next year. So, if you like the F4U, Ypsilanti, Michigan is the place to be next August.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

I guess you can guess where I am going to be by my user name..............Made my hotel RSVP right after the announcement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 pm 

F-16 demo/hf confirmed!!! Gonna be my first year at Thunder if everything goes as planned. Happy to hear that I will (hopefully) be going on a year like the good 'ol days of Thunder (old dates/good theme). Also a fan of not having the Thunderbirds/Blues, makes it seem more like a warbird gathering than an "airshow" and POF has that nailed down.

So that being said for the newbie, what planes are typical at Thunder? Yankee Lady... etc.. Being a SoCal airshow fan, I know most of the expected warbirds at shows over here, Michigan is a different animal!! :D

Also looking at 'competing' shows on Aug. 3/4, Thunder looks pretty solo on the warbird front. SeaFair might keep a Corsair or two away if they would even bring them to Thunder in the first place (I know there are 3 around the northwest), but I don't think Colorado or BC will keep anything away. :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm 

We are very excited to announce,

The theme aircraft for the 2019 THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN Air Show will be the F4U Corsair!

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
F-16 demo/hf confirmed!!! Gonna be my first year at Thunder if everything goes as planned. Happy to hear that I will (hopefully) be going on a year like the good 'ol days of Thunder (old dates/good theme). Also a fan of not having the Thunderbirds/Blues, makes it seem more like a warbird gathering than an "airshow" and POF has that nailed down.

So that being said for the newbie, what planes are typical at Thunder? Yankee Lady... etc.. Being a SoCal airshow fan, I know most of the expected warbirds at shows over here, Michigan is a different animal!! :D

Also looking at 'competing' shows on Aug. 3/4, Thunder looks pretty solo on the warbird front. SeaFair might keep a Corsair or two away if they would even bring them to Thunder in the first place (I know there are 3 around the northwest), but I don't think Colorado or BC will keep anything away. :supz:

Usually there is a good lineup of warbirds on static and in the air. Bunch of P-51's, TBM's, the A-26 "Dragon Lady, a couple B-25's around, the Yankee Air Museum's B-25, B-17 and C-47. The military also provides a good amount of power at Thunder

They also have the largest WWII battle reenactment, with real tanks and air support before and during the Airshow.

Each year is usually a good time with good people as long as the weather holds up haha. In 2018 the weather wasn't so good haha :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:03 pm 

Alex Pas wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

Usually there is a good lineup of warbirds on static and in the air. Bunch of P-51's, TBM's, the A-26 "Dragon Lady, a couple B-25's around, the Yankee Air Museum's B-25, B-17 and C-47. The military also provides a good amount of power at Thunder

They also have the largest WWII battle reenactment, with real tanks and air support before and during the Airshow.

Each year is usually a good time with good people as long as the weather holds up haha. In 2018 the weather wasn't so good haha :lol:

Exactly what I was looking for, I saw that the Roush Mustangs typically show up, a few others seem to be likely attendants too. Savage sending the TBM and A-26 makes sense also. And then of course Yankee's birds, wasn't sure if those 3 all flew "often".

Hoping that O'Connor sends the Bearcat with the AU-1 and Yagen sends some power with their Corsair. Would also be nice to see Colling's send the F-4 and the F-100, or Cutter bring his F-100... Gonna be a fun one!!!

Also saw that Warbird Heritage Foundation has Thunder on the schedule. A-4, F-86, Skyraider, Moonbeam...? 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next