Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:10 pm 

kennsmithf2g sorry for the late response but I am still going through my photos. I did find this one tonight.

According to the EXIF information recorded with the image the time was at 1:42:05.

The picture is to large let me try and shrink it and I will post it again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
I've never seen German troops attacking a Corsair base before. :D

This is a re enactment of the German Bombing of Pearl Harbor! As seen on the History of Lumberjacks Channel!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 pm 

The Corsair gathering was worth coming. Saturday’s flying was OK, it did not wow me for some reason. I agree with Xray's comments. Maybe an hour intermission, two hours seemed a bit long. The ride aircraft were busy. A tip of the hat to announcer Rob Reider for saying that the Corsair was the first “single engined” aircraft to break 400 mph. That “single engined” gets left out frequently.

It was the first time seeing a P-2 up-close, which was nice.

They got picky on coolers this year. I brought the same small (two lunch bag size) soft side cooler that I’ve brought for the past several years with no problems previously, just no ice inside of it. I was told it was an FAA security issue was the reason for the clamp down. Cough, “greed”. I do not like to be ripped off being forced to buy over priced mediocre food. It is expensive enough going.

I like the Blues and T-Birds. But I would really like to see the Snowbirds again. It was been over 10 years since I last saw them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:18 am 

When do we think the 2020 theme will be announced? Has anybody created a 2020 forum yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Alex Pas wrote:
When do we think the 2020 theme will be announced? Has anybody created a 2020 forum yet?

Going off previous years, it's usually announced around mid-November.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:33 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
Alex Pas wrote:

Going off previous years, it's usually announced around mid-November.

Okay, thank you! I thought last year it was October for some reason haha.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 am 

https://yankeeairmuseum.org/thunder-over-michigan/

Have not heard anything yet about theme, but we know the dates and the Blues are coming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm 

They've been updating the back end of the site behind the main page "closed door" they have set up now.

1 hour intermission next year confirmed!

https://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/schedule/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 am 

Did they find that piece of the F-16?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm 

Col. Rohr wrote:
Well, that bloody stupid, if I'm paying x-amount of money to go to an airshow I don't want an hour intermission, they never had any issues putting aircraft up in the air in the past. I know if I was thinking about going to Thunder this would turn me off and I think the general public is going to feel the same thing and you will see a big drop off of attendance.

This was supposed to be good news. The intermission this past year was 2 hours... Anybody that attended this year will be very happy with the time being cut in half.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I still don't see what the problem with the intermission is. In the 16 years I've attended, Thunder has never had non-stop flying from 10 or 10:30 until 4 p.m. In the past format, they'd have a few planes flying around for 20-30 minutes during the morning battle at 10 a.m. and then there wouldn't be any formal flying displays until the show started at Noon or 1 p.m. I fail to see how this is any different than that. You're getting 4-4.5 hours of allotted flying time either way.

Part of the problem last year seems to be that a lot of people didn't read the schedule and didn't realize there was going to be a break. You don't have to like the format, but there shouldn't be any surprises this year. How you choose (or don't choose) to use that time is up to you.

Looking forward to the announcement of the theme. If it's cool, I plan to be there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm 

Last week I talked to the FAA supervisor who oversaw the airshow at KYIP and she said that they never found the piece of the F-16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:10 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
I still don't see what the problem with the intermission is. In the 16 years I've attended, Thunder has never had non-stop flying from 10 or 10:30 until 4 p.m. In the past format, they'd have a few planes flying around for 20-30 minutes during the morning battle at 10 a.m. and then there wouldn't be any formal flying displays until the show started at Noon or 1 p.m. I fail to see how this is any different than that. You're getting 4-4.5 hours of allotted flying time either way.

Part of the problem last year seems to be that a lot of people didn't read the schedule and didn't realize there was going to be a break. You don't have to like the format, but there shouldn't be any surprises this year. How you choose (or don't choose) to use that time is up to you.

Looking forward to the announcement of the theme. If it's cool, I plan to be there.

Facts. Even POF "the best of the best" has an intermission at their show... I personally liked Thunder more than POF, but maybe I'm just bored of seeing the same stuff at POF year after year.

The theme will almost guaranteed be cool. Not to knock Avengers or C-47's, but I wouldn't go from CA to MI for one of those gatherings. Unless things changed drastically, I think the Seaplane (Ducks/Catalinas, etc.), German fighters, Grumman Cats, or Invaders theme will be one of the choices this year. All of those would be insanely cool. I'm really hoping it's German fighters...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:17 am 

Actually an intermission is a great idea if both a gathering and a jet team are present. Two great ways to conclude Act I and Act II.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jesse C. wrote:
JohnB wrote:
I've never seen German troops attacking a Corsair base before. :D

This is a re enactment of the German Bombing of Pearl Harbor! As seen on the History of Lumberjacks Channel!

I'll never forget seeing a article in a magazine about a British re-enactment group and there was a photo of USMC re-enactors rounding up German re-enactors at the tail end of a spectator battle.
:shock:
This type of thing is exactly why my living history/display group focuses on displays and not battles.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next