Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2019

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Really glad I chose my first year to be this one! Looking to be one of the best if everyone shows up 8)

9 Corsairs
4 Mustangs
3 Mitchells

And it's still February!!!

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:Really glad I chose my first year to be this one! Looking to be one of the best if everyone shows up 8)

9 Corsairs
4 Mustangs
3 Mitchells

And it's still February!!!

What's the third Mitchell? Brent Hisey's, Georgie's Gal, and then the Yankee Air Museum's I assume?

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes Yankee Warrior. Just assuming her, Yankee Lady, and Hairless Joe will be present

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:Yes Yankee Warrior. Just assuming her, Yankee Lady, and Hairless Joe will be present

Yankee B-25 and B-17 typically are giving rides [understandable] and not much of a part of the show, excluding takeoffs and landings.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Xray wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:Yes Yankee Warrior. Just assuming her, Yankee Lady, and Hairless Joe will be present

Yankee B-25 and B-17 typically are giving rides [understandable] and not much of a part of the show, excluding takeoffs and landings.

Didn't the B-17 make passes during the show last year?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:09 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:
Xray wrote:

I was there but don't remember ,, I'm just hoping that the "Thunder" part of the show isn't neglected and we get some jet acts. F-35's were great last year, if you were there for arrival, they beat the hell out of the airfield and did half a dozen climbouts before landing. Raptor is always nice, not sure if the Collings Phantom is operational or the status of Cutshalls F-100, both have made the show multiple years in the past.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Xray wrote:
I was there but don't remember ,, I'm just hoping that the "Thunder" part of the show isn't neglected and we get some jet acts. F-35's were great last year, if you were there for arrival, they beat the hell out of the airfield and did half a dozen climbouts before landing. Raptor is always nice, not sure if the Collings Phantom is operational or the status of Cutshalls F-100, both have made the show multiple years in the past.

It seems they do their part with military, it just comes closer to the show as it's harder to plan that ahead. Viper demo is a good start, Super Hornet isn't out of the question (at least a Legacy flight), would be sweet to see the private F-5 that goes to OSH! I don't think they will spend the dough to get the F-4 from TX when it doesn't fit the theme, F-100 might be more reasonable, but not getting my hopes up. I'm pretty satisfied with the turnout already, I get to see the everything military except the F-22 demo this year, will gladly take a killer warbird gathering at Thunder :supz:

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:56 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:
Xray wrote:

It seems they do their part with military, it just comes closer to the show as it's harder to plan that ahead. Viper demo is a good start, Super Hornet isn't out of the question (at least a Legacy flight), would be sweet to see the private F-5 that goes to OSH! I don't think they will spend the dough to get the F-4 from TX when it doesn't fit the theme, F-100 might be more reasonable, but not getting my hopes up. I'm pretty satisfied with the turnout already, I get to see the everything military except the F-22 demo this year, will gladly take a killer warbird gathering at Thunder :supz:

I'm not going to rag on the warbirds, I enjoy seeing them, just pointing out the irony of "Thunder" without jets, be more like Buzz Over Michigan. Don't think the average airshow attendee gives a 2nd thought to any theme, I sure don't. Its a starting point to build the show around, not an end point.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Xray wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
Xray wrote:

I'm not going to rag on the warbirds, I enjoy seeing them, just pointing out the irony of "Thunder" without jets, be more like Buzz Over Michigan. Don't think the average airshow attendee gives a 2nd thought to any theme, I sure don't. Its a starting point to build the show around, not an end point.

But with an established Corsair gathering theme, the costs of getting 2-3 more Corsairs vs. the Phantom probably comes into play... At 9 Corsairs already, I would personally take 3 more over the Phantom. The chances of seeing 12-15 Corsairs together is MUCH lower than seeing the Collings Phantom... Even though the F-4 is rare and awesome to see, it's just a loud fighter jet. A dozen Corsairs together in 2019 is... insanity.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Just added,

Ronald Lauder's FG-1D Corsair "GODSPEED"!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

GRNDP51 wrote:
Xray wrote:

Yep!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:24 pm

michael luther wrote:Just added,

Ronald Lauder's FG-1D Corsair "GODSPEED"!

Is Godspeed the same Corsair as Skyboss? Shows how much I know about the NY Corsairs :lol:

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30 pm

WIXerGreg wrote:Didn't the B-17 make passes during the show last year?

Yep!

Image[/quote]

Looks like the day I missed, the rainy day.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm

EDIT:

my banner was moved to page 10.

Sean
Last edited by martin_sam_2000 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Nice Sean, helps me picture what that ramp is gonna look like in August!!! So SWEET!!! 8)
Post a reply