Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm 

bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I assume Michael realizes this is probably the statement that a ton of people will be making. I also assume there are shows across the country where the XP would be the make or break for their attendance. We will know soon!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:50 pm 

Just added,

The Mid America Flight Museum's FG-1D Corsair "MARINE'S DREAM"! :wink:

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:29 am 

My Corsair banner has been updated!

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:58 am 

GRNDP51 wrote:
bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I assume Michael realizes this is probably the statement that a ton of people will be making. I also assume there are shows across the country where the XP would be the make or break for their attendance. We will know soon!!

I can appreciate the enthusiasm for the twin mustang, but your average airshow attendee doesn't understand the significance of this airframe. It's a big deal to a small number of us enthusiasts, but means nothing to the bulk revenue (aka people) coming through the gate. Michael and the TOM team are probably more worried about getting good weather.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:49 pm 

Jasonrs55 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
bmoran wrote:

I can appreciate the enthusiasm for the twin mustang, but your average airshow attendee doesn't understand the significance of this airframe. It's a big deal to a small number of us enthusiasts, but means nothing to the bulk revenue (aka people) coming through the gate. Michael and the TOM team are probably more worried about getting good weather.

Not going to disagree with that, but the I can assure you that the "average" attendee that knows ANYTHING about warbirds more than likely knows Corsair and Mustang. Thunder already has both of those covered, but for those that know what a Mustang is, to see the Twin Mustang and realize "hold on this is TWO Mustangs TOGETHER?" I think it would be a big draw.

Warbird Digest's post about Thunder's gathering also got over 2,000 likes on Facebook, which for a warbird group is pretty solid. I would imagine a majority of those people (and more) will guaranteed buy tickets if they're on the fence if the XP-82 gets put on the attendee list.

At this point, the only thing that would draw more "average" spectators is the Blues or Tbirds, which obviously won't happen, and I am glad about that... So why not draw the warbird crowd on the fence if the costs of the XP attending are within reason?

I can agree with weather, and it seems like more than anything the team is trying to get Thunder back on track after the past few years have seemed to fall short of the Thunder crowd expectations. (some things that couldn't be controlled of course)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:57 pm 

First list posted very early on Thunder's site!!! Lots of extras that haven't been announced on here :D

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am 

GRNDP51 wrote:
First list posted very early on Thunder's site!!! Lots of extras that haven't been announced on here :D

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list/

Out of everything on that list, this one I'm the most excited about at this point:

Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 pm 

With such a diverse Legacy Flight team this year, pretty surprised Thunder wouldn’t be on that list. The weekend is still open though...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm 

Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:00 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Xray wrote:
Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.

There's your jet! :P

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:42 pm 

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Xray wrote:

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:53 pm 

Xray wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Xray wrote:

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.

Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:06 pm 

There's your jet! :P[/quote]

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.[/quote]

Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean[/quote]

Yeah saw that, better than nothing. Really not that much in the inventory compared to back in the day. F-22 demo would be great, 15's and 18's would be nice, as would a Harrier demo. Bombers are apparently too much to ask for these days, even a flyby, though some shows [like RIAT] seem to get about everything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm 

Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:49 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs

don't get your knickers in a knot, didn't even come close to "bashing". Talk about a reality check, "Thunder" is only produced by jets, not props. And BTW, jets do not have to "perform" to attend a show, just like the 2 F-35's last year. Me speculating about jets at an airshow of all things [GASP !] is no more pointless than you continuously speculating about the XP-82 so if you don't like my posts, don't read or reply to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24  Next